Rehousing

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
So, in general one would keep a tarantula in a container roughly 3x its leg span in width depending on the species whether it is terrestrial and of course more height for an arboreal more substrate for a fossorial etc... But is there really a downfall to keeping a T in a roughly larger enclosure? other than giving it more space to roam. I understand you wouldn't necessarily know where your T was sometimes. However, wouldn't that save from the trouble of constantly needing to rehouse an Old World per say? I just wanted some opinions on this.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
So, in general one would keep a tarantula in a container roughly 3x its leg span in width depending on the species whether it is terrestrial and of course more height for an arboreal more substrate for a fossorial etc... But is there really a downfall to keeping a T in a roughly larger enclosure? other than giving it more space to roam. I understand you wouldn't necessarily know where your T was sometimes. However, wouldn't that save from the trouble of constantly needing to rehouse an Old World per say? I just wanted some opinions on this.
Only time I'd consider it a downside is if it's a really small sling. In large enclosures, if not offered enough coverage they'll feel exposed and end up scrunched in a corner somewhere or buried deep. They also may have a harder time finding prey or not have as strong of an appetite.

I personally prefer to house my juvie old worlds in enclosures slightly larger than necessary or slightly larger juvies into their adult setups as it saves me needing to rehouse sooner than necessary.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I think most spiders could do with only a handful of rehouses from sling to adult size.
I think the 3x “rule” is mostly to let people know that a 1.5” spider doesn’t need a 10 gallon tank so it can run laps. It also helps people to keep an eye on slings, once they get a few inches I think it’s fine to go to a bigger enclosure.

One last thought, the only issue I see with a large enclosure is that if the T doesn’t wonder from its hide and the water dish is all the way on the other side it might never be able to drink and possibly could dehydrate. Anything’s possibly

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I think most spiders could do with only a handful of rehouses from sling to adult size.
I
I only do three throughout the lifespan of most of my Ts - sling setup, juvie setup, and adult setup. For faster growing or smaller species, you can get away with only 2 rehouses from sling to adult.

One last thought, the only issue I see with a large enclosure is that if the T doesn’t wonder from its hide and the water dish is all the way on the other side it might never be able to drink and possibly could dehydrate. Anything’s possibly
This definitely CAN happen, I've seen it more often with arboreals though like C. versicolor that refuse to leave their web and go to the water dish on the ground. A way to circumvent that issue would be to place more than one waterdish in the enclosure, but TBH I think if it becomes necessary to do that because the T is struggling to find the waterdish, then that IS too big.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have a few faster growing species that are housed in larger than recommended enclosures like my A geniculata. There is definitely a concern of it finding food and water. I am lucky with that one because the genic is always around the water dish and even hides under it sometimes. In the event that the t has wandered away from the dish I just spray some substrate somewhat close to the t with a syringe so it can drink. And I drop its food very close to it.

The large enclosure can also be bad for burrowers too. One of my albopilosum disappeared for almost 2 months and I was gonna dig it up but then it reappeared. Way bigger too. Now it's enclosure is the correct size. That whole experience was nerve wracking to say the least.

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
I have a 3inch female OBT, and I've got her in a roughly 7x7x7 tank and I caught her running laps this morning. She made a burrow close to her water dish and I rehoused her about 4 days ago. She hasn't eaten yet, I tried yesterday and today. But, eating with her has never really been an issue before and shes pretty fat right now. I'd just like to try and rehouse her as little as possible. Not for any reason other than safety and precaution. But I was curious peoples opinions on how often to rehouse etc.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have a 3inch female OBT, and I've got her in a roughly 7x7x7 tank and I caught her running laps this morning. She made a burrow close to her water dish and I rehoused her about 4 days ago. She hasn't eaten yet, I tried yesterday and today. But, eating with her has never really been an issue before and shes pretty fat right now. I'd just like to try and rehouse her as little as possible. Not for any reason other than safety and precaution. But I was curious peoples opinions on how often to rehouse etc.
P. murinus specifically is one species I'd honestly recommend housing a little larger than necessary and will be fine in an adult setup by the time they're a decent sized juvie. Saves you the trouble of having to deal with a very readily defensive T any more than necessary. Incredibly adept hunters and hardy as hell to dry conditions. I put my 4" female into her adult setup when it was a little large for her. She chose a spot to bunker down and does just fine, only time she doesn't eat is when she's in premolt.

Laiobt

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking mine might be in pre-molt right now. Let's hope, I love watching her explode. One of her previous molts she probably grew an inch. haha

Attachments

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
This definitely CAN happen, I've seen it more often with arboreals though like C. versicolor that refuse to leave their web and go to the water dish on the ground. A way to circumvent that issue would be to place more than one waterdish in the enclosure, but TBH I think if it becomes necessary to do that because the T is struggling to find the waterdish, then that IS too big.
that is exactly why I mist my arboreals but if u say that on this site you get jumped by the Tarantula police

Thekla

Arachnoprince
that is exactly why I mist my arboreals but if u say that on this site you get jumped by the Tarantula police
There's a difference between misting (to raise humidity) and spritzing water to the sides or on the web for drinking purposes. The latter one is completely fine and won't be penalised by the ABPD. :smug: