Rehousing

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Whoa!! People were not kidding about the P. ornata, lightning quick. Although it didn't take long to get her/him in its new home.
Also rehoused the A. versicolor.
What a night. {D

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear ya!...chased one of mine around for few mins the other day aswell!....lol

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I rehoused a young female OBT yesterday. Teleportation field activated all around the room. Now that was a thrill!

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I rehoused 8 tarantulas on Sunday, 5 of which were pokies. Used the plastic bag method...sweet. No wasted time chasing spiders around the house! Took less than an hour total.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is the plastic bag method?
I use a large, fairly thick plastic bag. (Like the ones they put fish in at the LPS.) Remove the lid from the spider's home and replace with bag. Sneak a skewer or other thin object around the bag (or through it), into the container, and chase the spider into the bag. Carefully remove the bag while closing the end to prevent escape. Place the bag over the new enclosure, scoot the spider into it, and presto! {D I hope I described this in a manner all can understand.:?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check out Hobo's pic thread.....hes got some pics of the p/b method...seems to work well

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I was wondering this as well. The search function didn't help me in this case. Maybe I'm using it wrong.
You gotta search for "Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™" :D

Even though Jonny's explained it already, here's a link, with pictures! (I say don't puncture the bag, but I've found it's ok, and even makes things a bit easier sometimes, as long as you make sure it's not big enough for the spider to fit through.)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty useful actually, if I would have done this my S. cal wouldn't have escaped. ;)

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You gotta search for "Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™" :D
I wanted to give you credit, Hobo, but I couldn't find your post (wrong search!:wall:) I wasn't trying to pretend it was my idea. (...and a great one it is!):D Thanks for posting!

Jon

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I wanted to give you credit, Hobo, but I couldn't find your post (wrong search!:wall:) I wasn't trying to pretend it was my idea. (...and a great one it is!):D Thanks for posting!

Jon
No problem.
And for the record, though I did think of it on my own, I did find another post later on in another forum of a guy who did pretty much the exact same thing, long before I did it....

But, I did think up of an awesome name for the bag, and I'm pretty sure I'm the first on that count!:D

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I used this method last week to rehouse my 2" P. regalis who had outgrown his little cube. It worked MUCH better than chasing him around the desk! I need to get at least one or two other bags to keep on hand to do this!

Marga

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
The bag thing is interesting. Probably could have used that method if I knew about it earlier. LOL

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
I wish I'd known about this before! We had an interesting experience last night; trying to rehouse a P. Metallica and Greenbottle Blue for the first time. Can't tell you how many times the P. Metallica almost escaped or nearly ran onto us! I definitely plan on trying this method next time we transfer spiders!