Rehousing vids on YouTube......really?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
It just seems counterintuitive to completely remove lids and give the t an opportunity to bolt in any direction. Seems like you would want to have a bit more control.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It just seems counterintuitive to completely remove lids and give the t an opportunity to bolt in any direction. Seems like you would want to have a bit more control.
I open the lids of my enclosures as gently as possible and try best not to startle them, then rest them on top until said T calms down. Place the bottle overthe T then slide lid underneath. Its easy.

If you bang the enclosure about before opening its almost certain that it will be flighty. I've never had a T bolt. If tou remain calm and careful then it shouldnt be a problem.

Always be aware of where the T is and always rehouse in open space or bathtub.

The more you worry the bigger the chance you mess up and spook your T.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I know "domestic" species of spiders generally have trouble, or can't climb out of a bathtub. That makes since.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I know "domestic" species of spiders generally have trouble, or can't climb out of a bathtub. That makes since.
Not true my man! Even with a fine mist on the sides New and O/W Ts alike can run full steam up the side of the tub..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The more you worry the bigger the chance you mess up and spook your T.
Best advice you can get ^^^

It's like I tell people all the time that are worried about rehousings. You like spiders your doing this for fun stop freaking out!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Not true my man! Even with a fine mist on the sides New and O/W Ts alike can run full steam up the side of the tub..
This is true. I do it in my bathtub as my bathroom has least amount of spaces to hide. I'm guessing it would also be better for speed when using catchcup

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I've never used any method except the side by side method or the catch cup method. Again like others have said I'm not hating on people for doing the bag method but for me it's too much. Rehousing Cyriopagopas, Poecilotheria, and Pelinobious with these methods proves fairly easy. I think it has to do a lot with reason. If your spider seems high strung before you goto rehouse perhaps you should just wait another day and try again. I had to do this with my Cyriopagopas sp.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thing about the bag method is that it's not gonna really work for moving a large T...unless you're using a trash bag or something. You won't be able to fit it over the opening to the enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thing about the bag method is that it's not gonna really work for moving a large T...unless you're using a trash bag or something. You won't be able to fit it over the opening to the enclosure.
good thing you dont have to rehouse adults.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Did the guy get bitten? Did the spider get hurt? If not then all went well...

1000 people 1000 different ways of rehousing, if no one gets hurt its good.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
This makes me wonder..... If people have rehousing problems with defensive old worlds..... What will these same folks do if they want to breed in the future and one or both Ts bolt out the enclosure? ..

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You don't have to have a bag to cover the whole enclosure opening. If it's a tank you can cover 1/2 or 3/4 with the lid (or anything else that will work) then the rest with the bag. You just need a bag big enough for the tarantula to move through.

I myself, use the catch cup method for just about everything I move to a new enclosure. I use tongs to remove as much stuff from the old enclosure. Then I position the cup and work the T into it or place the cup over the T depending on enclosure constraints. Move the T to the new enclosure and work them into a waiting hide sport I prepped for them to hide at. They are more likely to duck and hide (instead of breaking into a run) if they have a spot to do so.

IMO the biggest thing about a tarantula move is making sure you have everything ready before it starts. Halfway through you don't want to have to hunt down something or try to fix a housing issue etc.

Last edited: