Rehousing T's

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I am going to purchase a MM p rufilata and the cage that comes with him is much too small IMO. I currently have a P. Metallica in a cage that would be optimal size for the rufilata. If I were to rehouse the p met and put the rufilata in that cage, how much (if any) furniture, bedding, etc. should I remove?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mah... leave the "old man" when he performed his manly task in the matriarchy chelicerae domain of the 0.1 P.rufilata and problem solved, I say :-s

But if you want to buy a MM just for the pleasure of owning a "time limited" Theraphosidae, well, for what matter... remove everything and offer him a brand new set up: a piece of vertical cork bark, substrate, water dish and the right parameters are even enough for the old geezer, since obviously he wouldn't live that much.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Mah... leave the "old man" when he performed his manly task in the matriarchy chelicerae domain of the 0.1 P.rufilata and problem solved, I say :-s

But if you want to buy a MM just for the pleasure of owning a "time limited" Theraphosidae, well, for what matter... remove everything and offer him a brand new set up: a piece of vertical cork bark, substrate, water dish and the right parameters are even enough for the old geezer, since obviously he wouldn't live that much.

I decided to purchase him because he was surrendered to a local pet store and is available for a decent price. I also would like any amount of experience I can get with this species to compare and contrast with other poecs that I've had. Maybe the next -8 months (give or take) he has left will influence me to buy one as a sling in the future? Thank you for your opinion I will do a complete renovation before I introduce him to his final home

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Because I enjoy the husbandry? I've never bred tarantulas I just like poecs and think it would be a pleasure to have another one even if it's for a short time
not worth it, get a sling, its prob cheaper with a much longer lifespan.
i wouldnt take a MM for free if i dont have a fem ready.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
not worth it, get a sling, its prob cheaper with a much longer lifespan.
i wouldnt take a MM for free if i dont have a fem ready.

I respect your opinion and I might feel the same way one day. My first poec was a mm p regalis that I loved having so much that I bought a p met sling after he died. I don't see anything wrong with it

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I decided to purchase him because he was surrendered to a local pet store and is available for a decent price. I also would like any amount of experience I can get with this species to compare and contrast with other poecs that I've had. Maybe the next -8 months (give or take) he has left will influence me to buy one as a sling in the future? Thank you for your opinion I will do a complete renovation before I introduce him to his final home
I understand you but, frankly my man, you will learn nothing useful on that sense. If you aren't interested in breeding, IMO there's absolutely no reasons for purchase a (labeled/sold as) MM Theraphosidae.

It's not only due to their life short time, which can vary, but because their behavior is completely a mess. They will continue to crawl, searching for their 'oasis', a female. Anyway raise the humidity part because MM needs more "water".

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I respect your opinion and I might feel the same way one day. My first poec was a mm p regalis that I loved having so much that I bought a p met sling after he died. I don't see anything wrong with it
theres nothing wrong with it if you dont mind having a ugly male near the end of its lifespan. if you ever get a female, you might rethink some things about keeping MMs. i think its worthless, but its not my money.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I didn't mention they are only asking for $30.00 for him.

Honestly though after hearing your guys' solid points I might get a sling since I already convinced my wife to let me get another one.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
It's like getting senior dog at the Humane Society. Good for you, give him a home. If somebody you know needs a MM rufilata, you can pass him on and maybe get some free slings out of the deal.

Last edited: