Rehousing - Too Big?

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
It's big, but is it TOO big? Heh heh heh the age old question... just kidding. Back to our regularly scheduled program!

2.5-inch DLS p. striata, I'm dreading but definitely needing to get it into a more permanent enclosure. I got this one off Amazon, it's just a little bigger than I was anticipating now that I see it set up. 6x8x14 inches. I still need to put in more airholes, because I don't think that can be considered "adequate cross ventilation", but correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that it's best to reduce the number of rehouses with these guys as much possible, and if I put it into a smaller enclosure (like the one just a little more in the background), it'll need another rehouse with its next molt or two.

I'd go with my gut, but I don't know which side my gut is leaning towards, and despite all the reading I did on this guy, I just want to hear the "in my experience" argument from you guys.
IMG_2069.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’d lose 2/3 or even 3/4 of that substrates in the current deli cup enclosure, then put a large vertical cork bark, and keep it in there till it molts at least three times more.

For example:

036E35C1-4B82-4A96-91F9-24262C361B28.jpeg

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I’d lose 2/3 or even 3/4 of that substrates in the current deli cup enclosure, then put a large vertical cork bark, and keep it in there till it molts at least three times more.
Thank you! I should have mentioned this is what it came in when I got it so I haven't made any adjustments while he's gotten settled, but I'll definitely take out some substrate and add a hide if that's a good sized container for it! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's big, but is it TOO big? Heh heh heh the age old question... just kidding. Back to our regularly scheduled program!

2.5-inch DLS p. striata, I'm dreading but definitely needing to get it into a more permanent enclosure. I got this one off Amazon, it's just a little bigger than I was anticipating now that I see it set up. 6x8x14 inches. I still need to put in more airholes, because I don't think that can be considered "adequate cross ventilation", but correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that it's best to reduce the number of rehouses with these guys as much possible, and if I put it into a smaller enclosure (like the one just a little more in the background), it'll need another rehouse with its next molt or two.

I'd go with my gut, but I don't know which side my gut is leaning towards, and despite all the reading I did on this guy, I just want to hear the "in my experience" argument from you guys.
View attachment 405331
Too big? I bet they move around a volume of forest larger than that.

There are disadvantages to a large set up.

We’ve talked about them on the forum tons of times.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Too big? I bet they move around a volume of forest larger than that.

There are disadvantages to a large set up.

We’ve talked about them on the forum tons of times.
Definitely, that's where my gut debate came in. What's too big vs. just big enough that I can keep it in there for several molts. But if the deli cup works for another couple molts, then I won't even worry about it yet! :angelic:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Definitely, that's where my gut debate came in. What's too big vs. just big enough that I can keep it in there for several molts. But if the deli cup works for another couple molts, then I won't even worry about it yet! :angelic:
No setup is too big! PROVIDED one can check up on health, if it ate, and proper amount of cage furniture to feel secure

The larger the setup the more prey you will have to put in in all likelihood.

Generally most people can’t do all 3 because their husbandry management is substandard for many reasons.

I prefer smaller intermediate setups because I travel a lot for work, I need quick access to my T visually etc.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
This is my Poecilotheria rufilata on 01/30/21 when I first got it.

CCAA82DF-7FF8-4D5E-B31D-8619ED5CBB06.jpeg

Then I moved it into much much larger enclosure on 06/02/21 after it molted once.

B456A532-B1B4-4031-8A48-89C67DE22D5B.jpeg

188FDE9D-7212-4B35-A649-8BD86B0C77E0.jpeg

Point is, what really matter is how well you can observe your tarantula. If you are very certain / sure that you can keep track of how it eats, drinks, molts, then you are more than welcome to put it into your newly bought enclosure.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
With species that are more slowly growing or are finicky eaters I'd avoid using larger setups. But Poecilotheria grow quickly and typically eat well. And since they are more venomous, why not reduce the number of rehousings when they can do just fine in a larger enclosure?

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
No setup is too big! PROVIDED one can check up on health, if it ate, and proper amount of cage furniture to feel secure

The larger the setup the more prey you will have to put in in all likelihood.

Generally most people can’t do all 3 because their husbandry management is substandard for many reasons.

I prefer smaller intermediate setups because I travel a lot for work, I need quick access to my T visually etc.
Point is, what really matter is how well you can observe your tarantula. If you are very certain / sure that you can keep track of how it eats, drinks, molts, then you are more than welcome to put it into your newly bought enclosure.
I think I see what you're saying, V: No setup is too big for the spider since they live in decidedly less restricted environments in the wild, but for its health and safety in a human-dependent environment, a setup can be considered too big. Makes sense! Well, I can crane my neck into all sorts of unnatural positions in order to check all the corners of all my enclosures at any given point in time, so I think I've got the first two down at least. But definitely at that enclosure size, I'll be able to put in enough furniture for it to be comfortable. The pro list is beating out the con list so far!
For fast growing OW species I personally dont mind keeping them in larger setups. I think it'll be fine.
With species that are more slowly growing or are finicky eaters I'd avoid using larger setups. But Poecilotheria grow quickly and typically eat well. And since they are more venomous, why not reduce the number of rehousings when they can do just fine in a larger enclosure?
AGREED. This specimen gets pokie zoomies around the inside of the cup, and as cute as that is... fast, venemous, danger spood does not translate to a strong urge for me to be rehousing often :clown:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I think you are good with what you have, it will grow into it pretty quick. Only 1 caveat, toss in 2-3 feeders when you feed to up the odds that two of them will meet.
Plus if you set up right, you can place the whole container in and remove the lid. Voila, rehoused

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I think you are good with what you have, it will grow into it pretty quick. Only 1 caveat, toss in 2-3 feeders when you feed to up the odds that two of them will meet.
Plus if you set up right, you can place the whole container in and remove the lid. Voila, rehoused
Thank you! "Place, prod, pray" - Place in the enclosure, gently prod with the paint brush, pray to the higher powers that be that it goes the direction it needs to :zipit:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Here is a 2.5” Regalis enclosure, maybe next molt or 2 I will rehouse. Its 4x4x8.
D27C4D9E-F333-4B14-9F9A-F0BB60C3A543.jpeg

Venom671

Arachnosquire
Trying this out, I have 5 Phormingochilus everetti. Four of them are 3.5 inches and are housed in 1 gallon mainstay jars. I moved one into this 10 gallon vertical and been in there for about 3 weeks and doing good. Only difference in behavior from the other 3 is it has not made a burrow at the base of the wood at bottom back right corner and has made its home in the crevice behind the mangrove branch. No issue what so ever with feeding or observing as this young female is always out and retreats only when I get into her enclosure.
20211201_145458.jpg 20211206_044531.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Trying this out, I have 5 Phormingochilus everetti. Four of them are 3.5 inches and are housed in 1 gallon mainstay jars. I moved one into this 10 gallon vertical and been in there for about 3 weeks and doing good. Only difference in behavior from the other 3 is it has not made a burrow at the base of the wood at bottom back right corner and has made its home in the crevice behind the mangrove branch. No issue what so ever with feeding or observing as this young female is always out and retreats only when I get into her enclosure.
View attachment 405378 View attachment 405377
like the setup a lot. You keep dart frogs?

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
THAT is awesome, thank you! I like the comparisons 😁

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
Post a picture after you rehouse I would love to see it in the new setup. I reckon move it I’m sure it won’t mind the space 🙂

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Pokies are fast growing and amazing predators as well, even when they're young slings. As such, utilizing a bigger enclosure is a non issue with these guys, atleast IME and is in fact favorable. As soon as they hit 1" DLS, Poecilotheria in my collection get placed in half gallon Mainstays. At 2.5" or so, they get gallon mainstays until about 4.5" - 5". At that point, they'll get 5 gallon enclosures.