Rehousing question

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
My N. carapoensis juvie molted a few weeks ago and I felt like he got much bigger...to the point of I'm not sure whether he needs to be rehoused to a larger enclosure, like a mini/small critter keeper.

He is currently in a 16oz deli cup and I definitely think he needs some more room, especially a place to hide. I don't know if he appears to be bothered by the fact that he is out in the open, so I would rather take the time to rehouse him and give him a place to hide...if it is necessary to do so.

How do I actually know when a spider needs to be rehoused? The height from the substrate to the top of his enclosure is maybe one full body length of the tarantula. I used to have a PVC hide for him, but he never used it (when I was around anyway). He isn't too keen on digging, but he occasionally moves substrate around.

Advice? I feel stupid for asking but I really want to know.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How do I actually know when a spider needs to be rehoused? The height from the substrate to the top of his enclosure is maybe one full body length of the tarantula. I used to have a PVC hide for him, but he never used it (when I was around anyway).
I try to give mine at least 2-3 times their legspan in horizontal space (in any given direction).

And I would always include a hide, even if they don't seem to use it.

user 666

Arachnobaron
It needs to be rehoused, yes.

My rule of thumb is to rehouse a T when its leg length exceeds half the width of the enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You can if you want. I would if I had a larger cage lying around.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I figured he would need to be rehoused. I was thinking about maybe cutting a piece of the remaining cork bark hide I have and putting it in his mini critter keeper.

Is a 7.1inch x 4.1 inch x 5.5 inch enclosure still too small for him?

user 666

Arachnobaron
I figured he would need to be rehoused. I was thinking about maybe cutting a piece of the remaining cork bark hide I have and putting it in his mini critter keeper.

Is a 7.1inch x 4.1 inch x 5.5 inch enclosure still too small for him?
No. It will grow into it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I rehouse out of a 16oz deli when the tarantula is around 2.5-3 inches. I usually go into a larger enclosure. The shoe boxes I use are 7.5x12.75x5 and they give good growing room for a 2.5"-3" inch terrestrial T. Since a N. carapoensis is an obligate burrower I'd prob go with the 7.5x12.75x7 shoe box and give him an about 4-5 inches if substrate (with a buried cork slab) to make a burrow in. That should give it plenty of room to grow.

Something like this.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
N. carapoensis 9X7X4.5.jpg

As a 1/2" sling in a 4" cube this one never burrowed. Upon reaching 2" DLS, 3" in photo, transferred into a 9X7X4.5 Rubbermaid food container, occasionally moves sub around. Stays in the open majority of the time, rarely uses the cork provided. Nhandu are opportunistic burrowers, not fossorial, deep substrate isn't necessary, I do give 3-4 inches of topsoil. The chromatus, coloratovillosus, IME have not burrowed either, but will retreat to their hides when startled, ocassionally.

Answer to your question, Yes, I would rehouse to a larger enclosure. For Nhandu, a bigger enclosure is better.