Rehousing Question

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
I recently got my first B Albo (named Curly-Q) and I have been keeping it in a temporary container. Well I just got it a critter keeper and I need to switch it over. This is my first T, so im a little nervous about moving my dear Q, but I'm honestly not sure how to do it. I've rehomed several adult Ts, but Q is about 1.5-2" and NEVER leaves it's massive tunnel system that it built.
How do I rehome a burrower???? o_O

Thanks in advance!:p

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if you can see it along the side of the cage, just poke a plaint brush through the sub behind the spider and nudge him out. if not, you can dig him out slowly with a spoon. that is, if you cant prod him out by sticking the brush down the burrow.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I try to play take away when I rehouse if they are not easy to get to. I take away everything I can in the enclosure. If they have fake plants, the hide, or even sub if they are in a burrow, I take it all till not much is left. Once you do that, slowly dig away from the opening till you can work them out. Just be mindful of where your T is and go slow. A B.albo shouldn't be fast mover and they tend to try to hide so it is a good one to start with. Again take your time and good luck.

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Yes I can see Q's labyrinthian tunnel system, which I really like. I can still see it when it's buried. I am putting a little cave in its new habitat, so I'm hoping it will like that more than its home made cave.

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
I try to play take away when I rehouse if they are not easy to get to. I take away everything I can in the enclosure. If they have fake plants, the hide, or even sub if they are in a burrow, I take it all till not much is left. Once you do that, slowly dig away from the opening till you can work them out. Just be mindful of where your T is and go slow. A B.albo shouldn't be fast mover and they tend to try to hide so it is a good one to start with. Again take your time and good luck.
Thank you. All it has is a water bowl right now, but I'll probably have to take out some sub.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Don't forget the basics like having a catch cup handy and a straw or paint brush to herd it along.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
View attachment 222375 View attachment 222376

It's dug out HALF of the bottom of this jar!
Looking at the photos it's not very deep. I would take the lid off and lay the jar on it's side with the burrow side up. Then use a spoon or something to gently work the dirt from the burrow till I could get to the T. Then point the jar at the center of the new enclosure and run it out into it's new home.

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
Looking at the photos it's not very deep. I would take the lid off and lay the jar on it's side with the burrow side up. Then use a spoon or something to gently work the dirt from the burrow till I could get to the T. Then point the jar at the center of the new enclosure and run it out into it's new home.
Thank you so much! I will try that as soon as I can!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At least for me, burrowers are the hardest to rehouse!

I had to rehouse my M. robustum and it wouldn't move even though there was <1" of dirt left in the enclosure around it (imagine a 1" half hemisphere around a scrunched up T).

I've heard of people using a bit of water down the hole to scare the tarantula out, but I'm pretty sure my boy would rather drown than leave his tunnel. :shifty:

Have a brush and a plastic spoon ready and just begin to excivate with care! :happy:

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
At least for me, burrowers are the hardest to rehouse!

I had to rehouse my M. robustum and it wouldn't move even though there was <1" of dirt left in the enclosure around it (imagine a 1" half hemisphere around a scrunched up T).

I've heard of people using a bit of water down the hole to scare the tarantula out, but I'm pretty sure my boy would rather drown than leave his tunnel. :shifty:

Have a brush and a plastic spoon ready and just begin to excivate with care! :happy:
Thanks for the tips!

I think it's kind of cute how attached it is to its tunnel , but I feel like Jack Sparrow when I'm trying t to show it off to my friends. "I've got a jar of dirt! Guess what is inside it!" :sour:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips!

I think it's kind of cute how attached it is to its tunnel , but I feel like Jack Sparrow when I'm trying t to show it off to my friends. "I've got a jar of dirt! Guess what is inside it!" :sour:
If you have them burrow on the side by starting a hole for them, they have a good chance of using it to tunnel.
Here's my lividum's home. It circled right around the perimiter. Just put a flap up for to make them think webbing up the side isnt necessary.
20160810_082325.jpg
Here's my princess baboon:
P. muticus 003.jpg
You can actually see the heavy blue folder I used to block light on the left. There's also one in front I took down to snap this picture.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"I've got a jar of dirt! Guess what is inside it!"
This sums up a good chunk of the hobby. Luckily for you, albos don't burrow forever! Wait until your first burrower. It's amazing how excited you'd get over seeing toes, let alone a whole spider.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This sums up a good chunk of the hobby. Luckily for you, albos don't burrow forever! Wait until your first burrower. It's amazing how excited you'd get over seeing toes, let alone a whole spider.
If it weren't for my little peeping windows, I'd NEVER see either of the two pictured above.

I'm petty sure they wait for food to venture to the ends of their tunnels to actually eat it. I don't even see feet...

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
If you have them burrow on the side by starting a hole for them, they have a good chance of using it to tunnel.
Here's my lividum's home. It circled right around the perimiter. Just put a flap up for to make them think webbing up the side isnt necessary.
View attachment 222383
Here's my princess baboon:
View attachment 222384
You can actually see the heavy blue folder I used to block light on the left. There's also one in front I took down to snap this picture.
Nice pics! I'm hoping that this one stops tunnelingbefire too long. It's sibling stopped tunneling after it was moved to a larger container with a hide in it.

I plan to start a tunnel on one side for Q

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
So I have heard. I hoped my first T would be a friendly little guy. At the moment it's bashful.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So I have heard. I hoped my first T would be a friendly little guy. At the moment it's bashful.
Albos are sweethearts! I've yet to come across a defensive one. My girl has gotten slightly skittish with size, but no tarantula will ever be friendly unfortunately. Even if they were, that setae would prevent any cuddling ;)

Unlostlamb

Arachnopeon
Albos are sweethearts! I've yet to come across a defensive one. My girl has gotten slightly skittish with size, but no tarantula will ever be friendly unfortunately. Even if they were, that setae would prevent any cuddling ;)
Lol I don't mean cuddly. I meant friendly more in the way of.... Visible.... If I want cuddle I'll go cuddles hissing cockroach, scorpion, or dog. :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Lol I don't mean cuddly. I meant friendly more in the way of.... Visible.... If I want cuddle I'll go cuddles hissing cockroach, scorpion, or dog. :p
Oh, then your golden. Every albo I've had ignored their hide after the burrowing stage.