rehousing pink toe during possible premolt?

Monkey116

Arachnopeon
So my fiancée decided to surprise me with a Guyana pink toe tarantula about a month ago.
S/he is about 1 3/4 inch big. Ive been doing nothing but research since we got her!!! Its our first T!! I'm concerned with her habitat/cage! We've had her in the same cage (from Petco) with a sponge and only the lid has the ventilation.....:( She does seem to be fine...but I just don't want to have anything happen to her!!! Anyhow on the sponge, there are white and brown/black spots (pics below)
However I don't know if I should rehouse yet...what do y'all think?
1) I do believe s/he is in a premolt, abdomen is getting pretty plump and shiny..plus the top of her abdomen on the black triangulars design...itll be hard to see in pics...but the hairs are starting to 'fall off'? becoming bald? The bottom part of her abdomen is getting shiny too, I can see the anterior lungs plain as day now, before she had a matte finish look and couldn't see them much...The shiny butt just started about 2-3 days ago (pics)
2) S/he made a beautiful web mat about a week and a half-2 weeks ago. (pics)

If I can rehouse right away, what do i do with her web that she has now? I don't want to stress her out!
When i do rehouse, what do y'all think of a substrate? 1/2 & 1/2 mix of peat moss and coconut fibre okay? and put a small bottle cap water dish?
Also, if in premolt, generally how long til she does molt?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
pics are needed. get rid of that useless sponger asap. ive rehoused spiders in premolt on occasion, no issues.

Monkey116

Arachnopeon
pics are needed. get rid of that useless sponger asap. ive rehoused spiders in premolt on occasion, no issues.
pics just uploaded! also, how do i get rid of sponge without disturbing web? or just rehouse? and what size cage should i get for her size?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
pics just uploaded! also, how do i get rid of sponge without disturbing web? or just rehouse? and what size cage should i get for her size?
that cage is entirely inappropriate, below 3", i would use a 32oz deli cup with a ton of ventilation. these guys need a high ventilation environment. best to just rehouse entirely, your Avicularia will die in that cage. here are a couple threads with more info. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

Monkey116

Arachnopeon
that cage is entirely inappropriate, below 3", i would use a 32oz deli cup with a ton of ventilation. these guys need a high ventilation environment. best to just rehouse entirely, your Avicularia will die in that cage. here are a couple threads with more info. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
Thank you! I was thinking more of an amac box than deli cup. Anything I should do about her web when I rehouse or will she build a new? Ive always heard a spider can die of over exhaustion if you tear down web too many times....dunno how true it is!
Before 1 month ago I had bad arachnophobia.....now..eh, not so much!! HAHA

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Ok, based on all of your research, what is the appropriate setup for a A. avicularia? Those containers are not as bad as some might say, however they are not meant as a permanent enclosure. I do not see anything bad growing on the sponge, however.....

Sponge = BAD
avics need lots of ventilation
all T's need a water dish if large enough to use it, avics could use a large one.
if you haven't already, read about Avicularia enclosures then go out and set one up.

I myself would do it before the weekend was over.

As to the web you can try to move it, but you probably wont be successful. Just worry about getting the T into a healthy environment first.

And please continue to ask questions. Those who know are happy to help you learn, even if they are sometimes a bit blunt.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! I was thinking more of an amac box than deli cup. Anything I should do about her web when I rehouse or will she build a new? Ive always heard a spider can die of over exhaustion if you tear down web too many times....dunno how true it is!
Before 1 month ago I had bad arachnophobia.....now..eh, not so much!! HAHA
Not true, they will rebuild. That may be true with true spiders though, not sure. Amac box, deli cup, both work fine. Although delis are cheaper and alot easier to get. Just make sure there's plenty of vent.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Please rehouse asap. That place is going to kill her. Don't worry about the web--just read the links that @Venom1080 listed and move her.

cold blood

Staff member
You can't be worrying about the web...they have a virtual endless supply....new home, they have to start over, you cannot transfer a web and have it remain usable for the t.

Yep, easiest, cheapest option.
Ive always heard a spider can die of over exhaustion if you tear down web too many times....dunno how true it is! HAHA
lol....definitely not true with a tarantula.

Monkey116

Arachnopeon
Kinda dark, but is this good? just got a display case from hobby lobby! gonna cut lid about 4 inches from bottom and glue that in with silicone. then hinge the sides to make a door! then locking mechanism just so kids can't just open the cage anytime!
Then in habitat will put 1/2 peat moss, 1/2 coconut fiber, cork bark, and some fake plants. small water dish for the watering aspect, as I won't soak the moss and fiber.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
looks fine, once vent and everything is added of course. i keep the substrate in my Avic cages dry, its alot easier.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Make sure there is a lot if ventilation holes on the sides. The sooner you rehouse her the better.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i personally like to have about triple that, yea they look fine. i dont bother sanding them down.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
looks fine, once vent and everything is added of course. i keep the substrate in my Avic cages dry, its alot easier.
Still drilling and how did y'all sand these holes down without sanding the plastic per say?...but are these holes good?
I just bit the bullet and sanded them;). It was hard since I don't have power tools, but ya just gotta do it. If the T rubs against rough edges, it may kill her. :eek:
BTW, I agree with @Venom1080 . More holes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I just bit the bullet and sanded them;). It was hard since I don't have power tools, but ya just gotta do it. If the T rubs against rough edges, it may kill her. :eek:
BTW, I agree with @Venom1080 . More holes.
i never had a issue with Ts rubbing themselves against vent holes.

Monkey116

Arachnopeon
Got all them other holes done and smoothed out..I just used my nail to get scrap off extra then drilled in same hole...took time, but no rough spots..but before I start drilling the other extra row holes...what do y'all think about this? or another row?