Rehousing OWs

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Hello,
My collection has welcomed the addition of a C. fimbriatus sling and a P. subfusca lowland. Both are under 2.5" So I feel this is a good time to ask while they're still little.
Basically I'm just looking for tips/tricks for rehousing OWs. I've done it a few times successfully but I feel like I should improve my method (I usually just wing it and hope for the best).

So what do you do to make moving speedy/skittish OW easier?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I always use the same method. A tub over the T then carefully slide the lid under.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't think there is necessarily one "right" way to do it (though there are plenty of "wrong" ways); I've done it a couple of different ways depending on the general temperament of the spider as well as how it's enclosure and hide is set up. For me the most important thing is to have a firm grounding in the overall important aspects. Knowing your surroundings, knowing exactly where the spider is and how its attitude is at the moment (I put off rehousing my P. regalis juvie not long ago because when I first tried it was...sort of uncharacteristically...in a very foul mood and ready for a fight), remaining calm, and using slow and steady movements. I also always go into it assuming that it will not go correctly and the spider will bolt. At least that way if it happens I'm not completely caught off guard.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i like to have a large but short plastic shoebox to do everything in. catch cup over the hide entrance, and paintbrush in the back.
I was being a jerk :p In reality, I do it in the floor with plenty of wide open space. I have an oversized catch cups so I can just drop it over the spider if need be. They're not so fast when scurrying on a large flat surface!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was being a jerk
This sums up why this forum has developed a negative connotation over the years. Here we have an 'Arachnoengineer' with a condescending tone, adopting a passive enough aggression so that it's easy to back off if need be. Thankfully, that cancer is slowly dying on this forum.

The sad part is that you have points to be made, but you present them in such an aggressive fashion that it makes people write you off. I don't really care about the argument of rehousing OW's T's - they're your spiders, do what you will. But I do care how the forum is presented. Again, thankfully that cancer is dying.

Ignored, by the way. Don't bother replying, I won't see it.

:kiss: :troll: :troll: :kiss:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
This sums up why this forum has developed a negative connotation over the years. Here we have an 'Arachnoengineer' with a condescending tone, adopting a passive enough aggression so that it's easy to back off if need be. Thankfully, that cancer is slowly dying on this forum.

The sad part is that you have points to be made, but you present them in such an aggressive fashion that it makes people write you off. I don't really care about the argument of rehousing OW's T's - they're your spiders, do what you will. But I do care how the forum is presented. Again, thankfully that cancer is dying.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
For the small slings I put both containers side by side down in a 10ga fish tank, grab a catch cup (random container), and then wing it.. literally. Just start poking and hope they shoot in the right direction. Same with the bigger specimens but instead of a 10ga tank, my room becomes the tank.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I use a thin mesh like fabric over both tanks in the tub. It stops the Ts from getting out and makes it a hell of a lot more safe!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Is there anything you do different for a burrowing T that is rarely visible?

gobey

Arachnoknight
Is there anything you do different for a burrowing T that is rarely visible?
When rehousong my Ceratogyrus species I very slowly begin to undo their burrow

Most have at least one back entrance so be careful

Others actually flood their Tarantulas out but I've never had to do more than a little digging and prodding

Have a long brush ready so that you're able to prod the spider out gently when you discover it

I've also seen people dig all the substrate out of an enclosure leaving the spider in it so they can easily cup it and remove it

That's probably a safer if longer and messier method

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Bag method
I've not used this yet. So far I've only used the catch cup and most of the time I just walk them over. I've seen it work a lot in vids though.

I use a thin mesh like fabric over both tanks in the tub. It stops the Ts from getting out and makes it a hell of a lot more safe!
I'd be worried that me and the T would in up in a tangle in the cloth like a bad comedy skit. I've always preferred my Ts out in the open so if they make a break or I need to move I can. I don't even like the move your Ts in the tub. I use my TV room in the middle of the floor or on my super large coffee table.

Main thing is to take your time and have lots of catch cups. It seem like the catch cup is never where I need it if I only have one or two.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Bag method
For the only T I ever bought in a pet store, Petco used what looked like a snake bag for my b Smithi. It seemed to work but I was a little scared for the health of the T since I didn't have a container with me and had to drive a little distance in traffic with it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Did you know you actually speak english better when you're mad? Or did you just copy this piece of art from somewhere? :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Did you know you actually speak english better when you're mad? Or did you just copy this piece of art from somewhere? :D
EulersK written that prior for another user in another thread, I've just replaced a couple of words/terms (bold fonts) and added a couple of 'smilies' (including the 'Troll' ones, but I guess people that asked for a clarify & rated disagree didn't even noticed those ah ah) for suit better the thread :-s