Rehousing OWs

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there anything you do different for a burrowing T that is rarely visible?
Flood the burrow or dig it out. I've only dug them out personally. Sometimes if you are lucky you can scoop out the entire T while it remains in the burrow hah.

I've not used this yet. So far I've only used the catch cup and most of the time I just walk them over. I've seen it work a lot in vids though.
I've found the transfer method to be useful w/my P rufi slings. I tend to be a bit heavy handed at times, and they are small. I don't want my Ts to go splat hah.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Flood the burrow or dig it out. I've only dug them out personally. Sometimes if you are lucky you can scoop out the entire T while it remains in the burrow hah.

I've found the transfer method to be useful w/my P rufi slings. I tend to be a bit heavy handed at times, and they are small. I don't want my Ts to go splat hah.
I tried this with my p. irminia. The poor thing would rather drown (if they can?) than come out of the web tunnel.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I've found the bag method to work very well. I imagine it's a bit more difficult to pull off once the Ts are fully grown, but it's great for slings/juvies.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well the first thing you need to do is practiceing herding the neighborhood cats and when you can do that Ts are nothing. :p

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've found the bag method to work very well. I imagine it's a bit more difficult to pull off once the Ts are fully grown, but it's great for slings/juvies.
I've not tried it but all that time used to connect the bag to both enclosures and working with the Ts through it just seems like a turn off for me. With a good open space none of my Ts have been out of hand enough where I felt I needed the extra layer of protection.

There again, go with what works for you. At the end of the day the method that worked is the best one. :D

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I really like doing transfers in the bathtub with the shower doors closed and the drain plugged. Just feels like the ultimate fortress of control:jimlad:

Whenever they bolt, most of the time they just run laps around the tub until they run out of gas. I just sit and watch them while giggling and being impressed by their speed. There just aren't too many places they can go in that situation. If they climb up the walls, you can cup them. Once they burn out, you can scoot them around with a paintbrush.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I tried this with my p. irminia. The poor thing would rather drown than come out...
My M. robustum did this exactly. I tried water and he just hunkered down in it. I ended up having to take out literally 95% of the substrate before he decided he was finally ready to move. :meh:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I tried this with my p. irminia. The poor thing would rather drown (if they can?) than come out of the web tunnel.
My M. robustum did this exactly. I tried water and he just hunkered down in it. I ended up having to take out literally 95% of the substrate before he decided he was finally ready to move. :meh:
I think they got the memo that humans have developed a new technique of getting them out, and were called to the duty of defiance :D

Bread

Arachnopeon
My h.cameroon did this when I rehoused her, just sits there underwater and lol's at me, she spends her time in her little pond anyway :/

I got her by fishing with a paintbrush with some hand towel on the end, she grabbed it and I lifted her out :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Although I don't think M. robustum are like h. gigas they do love lots of moisture. I was using large water vials in the enclosures for mine so they would have plenty of water for when I travel. But everyday I would find at least one of my M. robustum in the water vial and all of the water would be missing. It wasn't like the enclosure didn't already have moist substrate.