Rehousing my X. immanis

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
something pretty simple that occurred to me today when i was rehousing my x. immanis.

she's not aggressive per se, but stubborn and irritable, if she were a person, she wouldn't be a very nice one!

so i decided i'd give the following a try:
basically, i just put a toilet-paper roll inside her housing, and ushered her into it with a chopstick, once she was inside, i airlifted the toilet-paper roll (using long long tweezers) into a temporary container. returning her once her house was refurnished was achieved in a similar manner!

her temprament is such that on previous occasions when she's been very annoyed, she's maintained threat postures for several hours, or been in a hide with her rump elevated into the air for as long as half a day... but two hours after I returned her to her house, she was happily munching on a cricket, so i gather the process was minimally traumatizing!

something i noticed is that, while being lifted through the air, she stuck a few legs out of one end of the roll, but when her legs failed to touch anything, she just withdrew back inside...
another thing to note, she's only about 4" legspan, so, if someone was trying to use this method on a much larger spider, some other sort of hollow cylinder (like the type they use for posters) might be in order! also, this might not work very well for obligate burrowers who, by the time they come out of their burrows are super-pissed and running all over the place! ;)

cheers! :D
- munis

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tubes definitely work for transferring. Deli cups work, too.

I recommend upping the substrate on the new enclosure, though. Lots of room for a fall. :)

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
mmm... well, its a 4" spider, and there's 10" from the substrate to the ceiling.. but she's not particularly heavy bodied, nor is she really in the habit of climbing the ceilings.. so i *think* she's ok. :?

thanks! :D
- munis

Tubes definitely work for transferring. Deli cups work, too.

I recommend upping the substrate on the new enclosure, though. Lots of room for a fall. :)