rehousing my trinidad olive

cawine

Arachnopeon
hi everyone,
it s time for my baby to be rehoused,but as i only have terrestrial species before,i m not quite sure of how doing it without stressing it.
my T hides most of the time,and has made lots of tunnels.
so i wonder how to rehouse it without destoying(if possible..)what took her so long to build.
what can i do to make her more comfortable in her new house??
and how can i do to make her leave her hide?i ve heard about flooding,but i m not sure i want to make her endure that:8o
and last question,is it better to rehouse her before or after a molt??

thanks for your help

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If she has just entered premolt then you are fine rehousing her, but if you think a molt is coming soon then Id leave her in that tank till she molts then hardens up for a few weeks.

As for how to transfer her. I use two methods. A large open area so she cant teleport to a piece of furniture or something and hide, and tweezers. And another method is to get that new tank ready and set the new tank and old tank in the bathtub. Even with her being speedy she should be easy to control. Your going to have to have tweezers though lol. Prepair to play with lightning in a KK. {D

Dont flood just methodically take out dirt and work over to her and coax her out. Its not her home now anyway so distroying webbing and such is no biggy,

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well the point of rehousing is destroying what she made and putting her in a new enviorment(cage) to start a new. If you don't like that option you can always just put the old container in the new, and hopefully wonder out and start a house in the new one, or she just might end up staying in the older container.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The trick that I use for my OBT works the best for me... I put a paper towel tube in its tank with one end covered. I placed the open end near its current burrow and eventually it will use the tube as a hide. Then all I have to do is cover the open end and take it out. It will retreat down in the tube usually when you open the tank. This method may take a few days to work but I prefer it over trying to "catch" the little fireball... when move it to the new container just uncover one end and you can guide it out from the opposite end if need be.... good luck...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The trick that I use for my OBT works the best for me... I put a paper towel tube in its tank with one end covered. I placed the open end near its current burrow and eventually it will use the tube as a hide. Then all I have to do is cover the open end and take it out. It will retreat down in the tube usually when you open the tank. This method may take a few days to work but I prefer it over trying to "catch" the little fireball... when move it to the new container just uncover one end and you can guide it out from the opposite end if need be.... good luck...
Hey that is a really really good idea I am going to have to try that out when I rehouse my OBTs tomorrow.

cawine

Arachnopeon
thanks a lot for your advice.just put her in her new tank.
was kind of tricky,cause she was hiding(for a change...) .did everything in the bath tub,put the old tank into the new one,and gently tore open her web gallery until i could saw her.there she was,not so affraid.so i pushed her lightly on her ass,and first thing she did was trying to escape from the tank(and she s fast!),which was good for me cause all i had to do is move slowly the old tank so she just had to walk into the new one.
she has now visited her new home for a few minutes and she s now pretending to be hidden,half way under her water dish.
was a bit nervous,but everything seems fine.
thanks again

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i set old tank inside new tank and wait :D
Not sure how one can use tweezers w/o hurting T.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i set old tank inside new tank and wait :D
Not sure how one can use tweezers w/o hurting T.
The tweezers are not used to pick up and move the T they are used to take apart the old burrow from an angle that will cause the T to come out of the burrow and into the new tank, which worked quite well here.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The tweezers are not used to pick up and move the T they are used to take apart the old burrow from an angle that will cause the T to come out of the burrow and into the new tank, which worked quite well here.
That works the majority of the time, but you have to be careful and know where the T is. YOu can accidently stab and injure, or even kill the T. As long as your careful and know where the T is you'll be fine.