Rehousing my H. mac...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello all,

...so I guess I I should put a tiny disclaimer here: I’m not sure if I’d call me self a newb, but this is a pretty newb inquiry.

I have been in the hobby about 13 years now and I have cared for over 75ish different species.

HOWEVER...

I obtained a sizable random collection of Ts (one if which was an H. Mac sling) from a friend that was leaving the hobby.

Im thinking that today might be the day I put her in her forever home as she’s grown out of like 4 different containers prior.

Shes in this container now, barely viewable from the outside bc of all the webbing.

C18CEB84-05D9-459E-A4EA-52A222BBE0FB.jpeg
and we’ll be putting her in this (after we thoroughly clean it).

6653D742-3949-4ED5-A710-CE222907C493.jpeg
...so, I’ve never had an H. mac other than this one, I can say without a doubt I’m a newb and rehousing H. macs!!

...will anyone help this newb (Me), please??

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Can you just put the old enclosure in the new enclosure and let it come out on its own? That's how I rehoused my H.macs.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you just put the old enclosure in the new enclosure and let it come out on its own? That's how I rehoused my H.macs.
That’s what i thought but she’s so timid and flighty I don’t know if she’ll even want to explore anything she feels unfamiliar with and if I do that she’ll never really come out of her old container.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That’s what i thought but she’s so timid and flighty I don’t know if she’ll even want to explore anything she feels unfamiliar with and if I do that she’ll never really come out of her old container.
I won't lie and say it will come out overnight, heck I have had some stay put for almost a week but at some point it will come out of old enclosure and set up shop in new enclosure. Just make sure your new enclosure is 100% how you want it to be before putting old enclosure inside of it.

This method has worked flawless for me over the years, just be patient and know it may take a few days but it's the safest and easiest way I have used on my old world tarantulas. Hope this helps you

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
When I was younger (20ish)....I wanted a Tarantula....Old World? New World? I just wanted something "mean" 😆

So I bought a C. schiodtei juvenile (Now an O. schiodtei) and put it in a kritter keeper. I kept my pet hole in there a couple molts and then decided it needed a rehouse. I then put the KK in a 10 gallon. It ended up hooking out and dying....in the KK. 🤷‍♂️

I guess the point of the story is....if it doesn't ever leave to explore....it doesn't really NEED a rehouse.

Give it the option...the original jar will end up being its "burrow" in the new exo-terra and should it ever want to leave the burrow....it can!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello all,

...so I guess I I should put a tiny disclaimer here: I’m not sure if I’d call me self a newb, but this is a pretty newb inquiry.

I have been in the hobby about 13 years now and I have cared for over 75ish different species.

HOWEVER...

I obtained a sizable random collection of Ts (one if which was an H. Mac sling) from a friend that was leaving the hobby.

Im thinking that today might be the day I put her in her forever home as she’s grown out of like 4 different containers prior.

Shes in this container now, barely viewable from the outside bc of all the webbing.

View attachment 352567
and we’ll be putting her in this (after we thoroughly clean it).

View attachment 352568
...so, I’ve never had an H. mac other than this one, I can say without a doubt I’m a newb and rehousing H. macs!!

...will anyone help this newb (Me), please??
Ah my sister!! I’d go with Marine’s idea, but hear your concern.

I’ve owned them, they are fast and secretive IME. They like vertical bamboo and cork tubes

Perhaps you could plant one in the container as a ladder and/or as a new home, then lift out with an easy transfer if you are not up to coaxing it out ;)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah my sister!! I’d go with Marine’s idea, but hear your concern.

I’ve owned them, they are fast and secretive IME. They like vertical bamboo and cork tubes

Perhaps you could plant one in the container as a ladder and/or as a new home, then lift out with an easy transfer if you are not up to coaxing it out ;)
oh how I miss you!! I hope everything’s going well in your life.

(and everyone else’s)

It was a super easy rehouse do I’m a tad embarrassed I posted prematurely lol

...here she is in all her glory

(Drum roll, please....)

Sharron Needles, my H. maculata...
5BF1F733-CEE3-4F36-955A-D7E7FB8E8981.jpeg

Quite uneventful... lol I’m sad because I know once she leaves that spot I’ll never see her again ..grrrr! At least I have one picture lol!
(Had to use a flash but no filters to get this pic)...

Last edited:

Royalty

Arachnoknight
oh how I miss you!! I hope everything’s going well in your life.

(and everyone else’s)

It was a super easy rehouse do I’m a tad embarrassed I posted prematurely lol

...here she is in all her glory

(Drum roll, please....)

Sharron Needles, my H. maculata...
View attachment 352784

Quite uneventful... lol I’m sad because I know once she leaves that spot I’ll never see her again ..grrrr! At least I have one picture lol!
(Had to use a flash but no filters to get this pic)...
I know the name Reference! I also LOVE the feet!!!! One of my fav T's. Mine is a sling still, but it comes out almost every night :D

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
did yo u do the old house in the new house? I have rehoused 2 pokies using this technique. She's beautiful, and yes she will disappear, enjoy it until it disappears. Love the name and my daughter and I watch as well.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whenever I rehouse it’s 99% bc a larger container (and finally it’s forever home) Is needed.

but we do reuse tanks if we have a death and someone else needs an upgrade. But we always wash everything out and keep it fresh and clean

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I do as well. Plus I sometimes toss them in the freezer after cleaning. I moved my P Rufilata into a 12x12 x18 even though it is a tad big for it. (Spider is probably 4" stretched) But she's done moving and seems to really enjoy the new digs