Rehousing my H. Lividum TIFU, Seeking Advice

Pedro Paulo

Arachnopeon
I shall first preface by saying that when I purchased this spider I was completely aware that this was an OW species and was aware that they are fast, and aggressive and I was prepared to take care of it.

Purchased at Repticon in a wide but barely three inch tall deli cup with hardly any room to move, I felt the need to rehouse Azul today, my female H. Lividum. The deli cup sat nicely inside of the new enclosure, which I found super convenient, and had every intention of leaving said deli cup inside of the enclosure until Azul felt curious enough to leave its safety on its own. Next is where I <edit> up.

While slowly placing the lid on top of the large Sterilite container (new enclosure), Azul bolted up the side directly towards my hand, I dropped the lid due to being startled, mostly from the speed, and the lid landed on its legs.

Azul has lost two legs on her right side, the first one closest to the pedipalps, and the last one next to the abdomen. I have read that spiders can live without a leg or so. And I feel terrible right now, as I know I should. I'm not looking for any condolences, I just want to know what the best course of action is right now to make sure I don't lose my spider, *fingers crossed*...

I feel terrible...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I usually rehouse haplos in the bathtub. If they bolt I get a catch cup over them & slide a piece of cardboard under it to get them in the new enclosure. The legs should grow back within a couple molts, but someone else will know better than me. Luckily I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Pedro Paulo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick reply Hellblazer. I was in the bathtub. In hindsight I should have pulled the lid towards myself instead of dropping it. Should have let her run and then worried about a catch cup and cardboard a second later like you said.

Pedro Paulo

Arachnopeon
There appears to be no leakage of hemolymph from the wound of the front leg. It is glistening but that is all. Azul appears to be applying pressure to the wound of the lost last leg with the tarsus of the second to last leg, also on the right side.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There appears to be no leakage of hemolymph from the wound of the front leg. It is glistening but that is all.
She still might have lost a bit of fluid, so please ensure that she has a clean water source. Minimizing any fluid loss is extremely important.