Rehousing large l Kugi help ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Probably 5-6” T
Trying to do it without getting haired , I’ll wear gloves and long sleeves .
my last rehouse of a T failed-ended up haired :sad: .. spider is fine in a new cage .
Klugi cage needs extra ventilation added so I’m simply moving it to another one .

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
This isnt a specie that requires a whole lot of ventilation.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
ahh I accidentally overflowed the water dish the substrate needs to dry out .
I may be able to add holes to its lid , it doesn’t have enough of them but I gotta atleast remove the T first ..or trap it temporarily?
Drilling plexiglass is a pain any tips ?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
raid wife or moms tupper ware stash for a bowl with a lid vent it and use that for a catch cup then use soldering iron to melt holes needed in the plexi glass

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
i bought drill bits specifically for acrylic and other hard plastics and they slide through 1/4 acrylic like butter…Frozen butter maybe, but easier than other drill bits, lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It
i bought drill bits specifically for acrylic and other hard plastics and they slide through 1/4 acrylic like butter…Frozen butter maybe, but easier than other drill bits, lol
I can’t find my regular bits but I found these they woke ok maybe a couple small cracks caused nothing big.
Those aren’t all water dishes one I’m trying to feed superworms but not every T is catching them in the cup .
F7654D79-A4E8-40F8-8CC8-9507C7C8B03F.jpeg 9DFD1E70-63AB-4AC5-B280-5AF1FA215E08.jpeg 7226F2BA-D66F-4983-9009-00C35756E164.jpeg

Is it fine just air drying the substrate ??
Seems most of it is wet .
I added extra air holes so it can , but there weren’t enough originally. I’ve got some minor mold in various tanks , near the water dishes . Maybe I should use moss around them ?

cold blood

Staff member
Is it fine just air drying the substrate ??
Seems most of it is wet .
I added extra air holes so it can , but there weren’t enough originally. I’ve got some minor mold in various tanks , near the water dishes . Maybe I should use moss around them ?
I don't know how wet it is....you said it was from the water dish, so I just imagine a wet corner.......but the answer will depend completely on just how wet it is...I mean if you have a salamander enclosure, yeah, you gotta do something., but in most cases, just letting it dry works just fine...plus, its a pretty hardy species that does fine dry or damp usually.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don't know how wet it is....you said it was from the water dish, so I just imagine a wet corner.......but the answer will depend completely on just how wet it is...I mean if you have a salamander enclosure, yeah, you gotta do something., but in most cases, just letting it dry works just fine...plus, its a pretty hardy species that does fine dry or damp usually.
Yeah it’s not as wet as a salamander or frog enclosure. I’ll keep an eye and if enough mold starts forming I’ll remove the spider . But so far it seems to me mostly mold free except one spot were I removed the mold .

Timc

Arachnosquire
Yeah it’s not as wet as a salamander or frog enclosure. I’ll keep an eye and if enough mold starts forming I’ll remove the spider . But so far it seems to me mostly mold free except one spot were I removed the mold .
White and yellow molds don’t really harm tarantulas (at least something like a klugi, we’re not talking an Avic here), at least not in my experience. While they may be unsightly and certainly worth removing, I wouldn’t do an entire rehouse over it. If the spider is well fed there’s a good chance the sub will dry before it even needs to eat again. The white molds are usually from leftovers or boluses anyway. I’m sorry, I’m just confused because there’s an enormous difference between overflowing a water dish and enough moisture to harm an adult tarantula.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
White and yellow molds don’t really harm tarantulas (at least something like a klugi, we’re not talking an Avic here), at least not in my experience. While they may be unsightly and certainly worth removing, I wouldn’t do an entire rehouse over it. If the spider is well fed there’s a good chance the sub will dry before it even needs to eat again. The white molds are usually from leftovers or boluses anyway. I’m sorry, I’m just confused because there’s an enormous difference between overflowing a water dish and enough moisture to harm an adult tarantula.
The top layer is starting to dry out but literally before I added more airflow the entire substrate was wet , clearly not bad enough to hurt a T . Some of the mold I still either got to remove or let the dryness kill the mold . For my bigger spiders I have 2-3 water dishes after losing one I think to dehydration last year , although I’m not certain that’s what happened. A fall also could have done it .
FC7E9D64-2B46-4622-BACF-623791ED4A5D.jpeg 8984DC69-D345-47E1-81FA-3AD6DECC04E3.jpeg AF7C32F0-388C-4970-B39B-4D00D2D99B60.jpeg

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
So far it’s barely dried out more than the pics above , should I add a peice of corkbark or something or regular bark to give her something to sit on ? Mostly sits in the walls of the cage .

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
This species is somewhat humidity dependent. But ventilation is not something to worry about ( But don't not ventilate the enclosure, but I think you know basic knowledge)

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
This species is somewhat humidity dependent. But ventilation is not something to worry about ( But don't not ventilate the enclosure, but I think you know basic knowledge)
He does not know basic knowledge!! He has been on here for a flipping decade if not longer and dosent know crap about keeping tarantulas at all!!!! One of the worst keepers on the boards too.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
He does not know basic knowledge!! He has been on here for a flipping decade if not longer and dosent know crap about keeping tarantulas at all!!!! One of the worst keepers on the boards too.
OMG, I'm so glad someone said it!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Is this container fine until its tank dries out ? It seems to not be drying so I rehoused temporarily. As all the spider did was avoid the floor/wet sub .
40039F8E-61F4-4BDE-87A7-81F8E889216C.jpeg 2577C195-F187-4B13-AD66-4F4279BF48F7.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yeah...but, what's all the white stuff??
Perlite I think i can cover it up with eco earth probably maybe? If it could be a problem .that’s why I asked because I wasn’t 100% sure about this tank. Xl kritter keeper prob same size as a 5 gal tank or close .

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Perlite I think i can cover it up with eco earth probably maybe? If it could be a problem .that’s why I asked because I wasn’t 100% sure about this tank. Xl kritter keeper prob same size as a 5 gal tank or close .
Perlite is from volcanic ash,it ad's with opening up the soil for seeds to sprout as well as holding an amount of moisture. Your post's on here are to me confusing. That substrate looks like some miracle grow or something.
May I ask exactly what type of material your working with? The perlite I think is safe but what? To have flooded out any of my spider's enclosures that I'd have to rehouse?

I'd be burnt toast on here in less than a second.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Perlite is from volcanic ash,it ad's with opening up the soil for seeds to sprout as well as holding an amount of moisture. Your post's on here are to me confusing. That substrate looks like some miracle grow or something.
May I ask exactly what type of material your working with? The perlite I think is safe but what? To have flooded out any of my spider's enclosures that I'd have to rehouse?

I'd be burnt toast on here in less than a second.
Top soil ‘mixed with coco fiber . I know not to use potting soil , and I don’t plan on buying more perlite I can use the rest for plants instead of t cages . Eco earth I prefer since my Home Depot top soil is too harsh C9AF5620-DB4B-4A01-B90E-D73920E8AE3C.jpeg 5668F71C-E4E0-4230-BB27-D56527599F25.jpeg , not sure why I added perlite I made a post recently on perlite asking if it was safe .