Rehousing H. lividum (I Need a New Plan)

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Amanda,

As far as I know, there are two standard methods of rehousing one of these feisty critters...
1. Flood them out.
this one usually won't work with Haplopelma species: they stay and hide under water for quite a long time!

all the best,
Martin

PS.: The way I keep mine >>click here<< or >>click here<<. See also this thread >>click here<< or these articles, in which is described how I keep my tube-dwelling tarantulas:
  • HUBER, M. & V. VON WIRTH (2007): Experiences Keeping and Breeding Chilobrachys fimbriatus POCOCK, 1899. ARACHNOCULTURE 2(2): 72-87.
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2002): Einige Praxis-Tipps zur Haltung von Haplopelma Arten und anderen Röhren bewohnenden Vogelspinnen. DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 14-23.
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2003): Earth Tigers – die asiatischen Vogelspinnen der Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae. DRACO 4(16): 26-36.
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2004): Housing specimens of Haplopelma and other tube-dwelling tarantulas. British Tarantula Society Journal 19(4): 107-112.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found that between 3-5 AM they are often out roaming about. If you are an early riser or a light sleeper you will have a chance to check him/her out if you are up.
Agreed with the time... during the school year I set the clock for 3 am. My H.lividum is always out and about at that time. If I was expecting to see it during "normal" hours, it would probably be the typical pet hole that only shows the occasional leg.

Good luck with the actual transfer!