Rehousing c. Versicolor sling

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
So i got my first ever arboreal (c. Versi) sling about two weeks back. It came in a little pill jar that is looking too small already, I've attempted to rehouse it by leaving the pill jar opened in its new enclosure but it hasn't budged in two days. Would it be alright for me to manually rehouse it? And if so, should i transfer its old webbing as well? I was told very sternly by the vendor that it would perish if i forced it out..

sasker

Arachnoprince
If by forcing out you mean pulling it out while squeezing the poor thing between your tweezers, then yes, that would be a bad idea. But some gentle persuasion, like pulling out the substrate/webbing would be alright.

The forced rehousing aside, can you show some pictures of the spider, the current and new enclosure? It could be that your C. versicolor quite likes the old enclosure and that the pill jar is not too small at all. Or, your tarantula is not doing well at all, hence the lack of activity. Does your sling eat at all? Avics (and Caribena versicolor since the name change) are not very difficult to take care of, but they have some specific requirements. I am sure some of the other members with more experience can give you some hints.

But first, show us some pictures!:)

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
I meant by persuading it out. Its doing just fine. Pretty active, eating and webbing as usual. It's actually already out of the jar! Just as i had sought out help haha. Been climbing around its new enclosure so i transferred its webbing out as well.

Attachments

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
There's no need to transfer old webbing. Spiders produce silk continuously throughout their lives.

In regards to rehousing, coaxing the spider out will not kill it. Everyone does it. Imagine if you had to rehouse a hundred spiders by waiting for them to move voluntarily! You'd never finish. Best thing to use is a clean paint brush. Nice and soft, so you won't hurt the spider:)

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
There's no need to transfer old webbing. Spiders produce silk continuously throughout their lives.

In regards to rehousing, coaxing the spider out will not kill it. Everyone does it. Imagine if you had to rehouse a hundred spiders by waiting for them to move voluntarily! You'd never finish. Best thing to use is a clean paint brush. Nice and soft, so you won't hurt the spider:)
Yeah ive been doing that with all my slings. Was just very strongly advised by the the seller to ensure it wasn't transferred into a bare enclosure, which kind of puzzled me. Well its looking well now anyway, so all is good. Thanks foe the response!

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Yeah ive been doing that with all my slings. Was just very strongly advised by the the seller to ensure it wasn't transferred into a bare enclosure, which kind of puzzled me. Well its looking well now anyway, so all is good. Thanks foe the response!
I havnt kept any Avics but I would say there is no need to rehouse that T just yet.