Rehousing Angry Indian Ornamental

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Reply to ALL - I Have NEVER EVER come across such a Nasty Self Righteous bunch of people in my whole 75 years on this planet. You are incredibly constantly rude- Giving out Snide remarks, under the guise of being "Experts" being helpful - I DON'T Think So. You even play games with eachother at the expense of someone's emotions. Have any of you even consider that maybe the OP doesn't drive, maybe disabled, but doesn't like to mention this, or maybe just doesn't have the money to just go out and purchase tanks, or even be very worried about carrying out the transfer. NO don't consider any of these, you lot just carry on with you nasty mind games.Reading this thread just leaves me speechless. Edit. I also noticed no-one has passed any comments on my mention of breeders and retailers pushing P. regalia out in groups as being " communal" Ring any bells does it ??.
I think people who have dealt with issues like this or similar, during their free time, for several years, are allowed to have a few inside jokes with each other. I'm sorry no one wants to coddle an adult stranger, when the information they needed to avoid this problem is readily available through the internet.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
OP, it's very important that you separate them ASAP, otherwise one or both of these spiders is going to die. I know it seems intimidating, but you just need to bite the bullet and get it over with. Also I'd suggest reading up on this forum about proper setups for this species. If they don't have the correct setup, you're going to see defensiveness and possibly a sick tarantula. If you genuinely don't feel comfortable doing these things, then you really need to find these spiders a new home. There's no shame in admitting that you're not equipped to care for these animals and need to find them a new home- if this is the case then it's the safest and most responsible choice you can make.

AntJ

Arachnopeon
I have to fully agree with most others of this post.

I'm new to the hobby and have 24 T's in my collection, before each purchase I would spend days researching care requirements and making sure I have housing and the correct substrate and correct size food. I would never dream of ordering a T, without doing substantial research and preparation, I can see why other experienced keepers are annoyed at this kind of lack of research and irresponsibility, which has resulted in 4 T's being eaten due to being kept communally after taking bad advice from the breeder.
With OP not taking advice, people on this post are annoyed with OP. He shouldn't have brought these T's without the correct knowledge and understanding of the requirements of having to re-house these T's that are VERY quick and prone to be a bit defensive. - Now OP is scared to deal with these T's, which is right so. But should have been considered when you purchased it.

Very simple, get the 2nd enclosure. Get some cork tubs/cord hide to give the T's a place to hide and separate them asap. Posters have told OP how best to move over the T's and we want to make sure the T's are not in any further danger and will lose another due to poor keeping.
I don't know why people keep saying things like 'do research before I ordered them'. I didn't order them!

We were at a bug show and they were the last purchase of the day (the show was closing in 30mins and my son still had pocket money left to spend). The lady that sold them said they are a communal species. My son is only 10 (they were for him) and the lady selling them said they were suitable.

We thought they were a small species (they were only tiny) and knowing nothing about spiders, I took the vendor at her word. I didn't find out what they were until we got home and I went on Google.

I agree it was a mistake, but how was I to know? It's not unreasonable to think the seller was an expert.

If I had 'ordered' them, then of course I would have done some research!
I have to fully agree with most others of this post.

I'm new to the hobby and have 24 T's in my collection, before each purchase I would spend days researching care requirements and making sure I have housing and the correct substrate and correct size food. I would never dream of ordering a T, without doing substantial research and preparation, I can see why other experienced keepers are annoyed at this kind of lack of research and irresponsibility, which has resulted in 4 T's being eaten due to being kept communally after taking bad advice from the breeder.
With OP not taking advice, people on this post are annoyed with OP. He shouldn't have brought these T's without the correct knowledge and understanding of the requirements of having to re-house these T's that are VERY quick and prone to be a bit defensive. - Now OP is scared to deal with these T's, which is right so. But should have been considered when you purchased it.

Very simple, get the 2nd enclosure. Get some cork tubs/cord hide to give the T's a place to hide and separate them asap. Posters have told OP how best to move over the T's and we want to make sure the T's are not in any further danger and will lose another due to poor keeping.
I

OP, it's very important that you separate them ASAP, otherwise one or both of these spiders is going to die. I know it seems intimidating, but you just need to bite the bullet and get it over with. Also I'd suggest reading up on this forum about proper setups for this species. If they don't have the correct setup, you're going to see defensiveness and possibly a sick tarantula. If you genuinely don't feel comfortable doing these things, then you really need to find these spiders a new home. There's no shame in admitting that you're not equipped to care for these animals and need to find them a new home- if this is the case then it's the safest and most responsible choice you can make.
That might be best. <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Sambro

Arachnosquire
That might be best. <edit>
I do live in Kent and can come over if you don't feel confident. Apologies for not confirming, it's not correct of the breeder to say these are fine for a 10-year-old. So I'm sorry you were misinformed as these are not suitable for a 10-year-old, even as slings.

This forum is full of experienced keepers and as many others stated, we just care about the wellbeing of the tarantulas at the end of the day. But people also need to realise you are struggling and desperate for some help and advice.

I can help you re-house them as a one-off help or if you don't want them due to the upkeep and having to deal with re-houses I can come and pick them up and bring an additional enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

AntJ

Arachnopeon
I do live in Kent and can come over if you don't feel confident. Apologies for not confirming, it's not correct of the breeder to say these are fine for a 10-year-old. So I'm sorry you were misinformed as these are not suitable for a 10-year-old, even as slings.

This forum is full of experienced keepers and as many others stated, we just care about the wellbeing of the tarantulas at the end of the day. But people also need to realise you are struggling and desperate for some help and advice.

I can help you re-house them as a one-off help or if you don't want them due to the upkeep and having to deal with re-houses I can come and pick them up and bring an additional enclosure.
Mate that would be superb! I'll pm you my phone number

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I am so glad @Sambro volunteered to assist this with this because honestly MY advice was going to be unpopular -- OP is in over their head and I don't even think had the experience to successfully rehouse a highly venomous, teleporting pair of spiders. I was going to say, though it made me grit my teeth to do it, that maybe one eating the other would be a preferred outcome, and then to find a new home for the fat remaining spider. I am relieved to hear that isn't necessary, because I am normally for saving the lives of animals whenever possible -- it just seemed WAY too risky to me in this scenario. Thank you, @Sambro , for being willing to step in!

@AntJ , I think you have learned a good lesson. Never, ever believe what anyone at a reptile show says. Do your OWN research, here on the board preferably, before bringing any exotic into a home. Especially if you have children. At shows, disreputable sellers don't want to bring anything back home and will lie, cheat and steal to move their stock.

Now that you've learned this lesson, it doesn't have to be the end of your experience with Ts. Have a look at some of the great beginner spiders that are available and more appropriate for you and your kid(s), like the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, most of the Brachypelmas, Tliltocatl albopilosus, and others. Much much easier to deal with, and still beautiful, fascinating Ts. Avoid internet caresheets, youtube accounts other than Tom's Big Spiders, and search here for husbandry information. There's lots of threads on here about good beginner species to get you started.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
That vendor is clearly an immoral soul who only saw dollar signs in the presence of an uninformed sucker. They should be called out as such and their name be known. However that doesn't excuse you for waiting a year to figure it out. The important thing now is that you reached out and are getting the help you need and a lesson learned from this experience. I hope for positive updates.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I am so glad @Sambro volunteered to assist this with this because honestly MY advice was going to be unpopular -- OP is in over their head and I don't even think had the experience to successfully rehouse a highly venomous, teleporting pair of spiders. I was going to say, though it made me grit my teeth to do it, that maybe one eating the other would be a preferred outcome, and then to find a new home for the fat remaining spider. I am relieved to hear that isn't necessary, because I am normally for saving the lives of animals whenever possible -- it just seemed WAY too risky to me in this scenario. Thank you, @Sambro , for being willing to step in!

@AntJ , I think you have learned a good lesson. Never, ever believe what anyone at a reptile show says. Do your OWN research, here on the board preferably, before bringing any exotic into a home. Especially if you have children. At shows, disreputable sellers don't want to bring anything back home and will lie, cheat and steal to move their stock.

Now that you've learned this lesson, it doesn't have to be the end of your experience with Ts. Have a look at some of the great beginner spiders that are available and more appropriate for you and your kid(s), like the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, most of the Brachypelmas, Tliltocatl albopilosus, and others. Much much easier to deal with, and still beautiful, fascinating Ts. Avoid internet caresheets, youtube accounts other than Tom's Big Spiders, and search here for husbandry information. There's lots of threads on here about good beginner species to get you started.
What is this lesson that the OP has learnt?? To put his faith and trust in Professional vendors either at shows or maybe on line - or to " teach out to the Experts on this forum" - to be torn apart verbally and mentally, which lesson are we talking about. I know what lesson I would have learnt coming to this forum as a newbie - Never to Return !!! And to those who hand out " dislikes" - You haven't heard the half of it yet!!.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What is this lesson that the OP has learnt?? To put his faith and trust in Professional vendors either at shows or maybe on line - or to " teach out to the Experts on this forum" - to be torn apart verbally and mentally, which lesson are we talking about. I know what lesson I would have learnt coming to this forum as a newbie - Never to Return !!!
To be fair. Op didn’t get ripped into until he came back with his “update”, only to find that he still hadn’t separated them after asking for advice.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Oh! Back peddling time is it??
Cool your jets grandpa... no ones back peddling here. I’ll full on admit I got snarky with Op. That was after the fact I found out he took no one’s advice, and reported back to tell us all how they are still fighting because he still hasn’t removed them.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Honestly, @Dry Desert I think for the most part people on this thread were reasonable, considering the nature of the thread. I don't disagree that this board isn't always the most welcoming of places, but this thread was... pretty tame? And all you're doing is derailing from the core message of this thread, which are the REAL lessons that were learned about getting in over your head as a newbie OR an experienced keeper. Let's keep to topic, please, and if you have an issue with any user either take it private or reach out to the mods, thanks.

Sambro

Arachnosquire
I'll have an update for everyone tomorrow! Just got back home from a 2h round trip and now rehousing the spiders into a lovely arboreal setup. Pictures coming soon!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good to see that things have ended on a positive note and no further spiders suffered. OP, I hope this event hasn't turned you off from owning Ts. There are a plethora of attractive beginner species suitable for a 10 year old... with parental assistance and supervision ;) Tliltocatl albopilosus, the Curly Hair, comes on top as far as recommendations go. These are the absolute sweethearts of the T world. You cannot go wrong with it. If you're looking for more colour, look no further than the iconic Brachypelma hamorii, the classic Mexican Redknee. These are going to be a tad more expensive but worth it as they are amongst the longest living of all Ts.

Hopefully your journey will take a much more pleasant turn now. Good on you for passing those P. regalis to a more experienced keeper. :)