Rehousing a pre-molt T

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Today I decided to rehouse my sub female I. mira. I dug her up and coaxed her into her new enclosure w a paintbrush. Then I kept digging out all the dirt from the old enclosure, expecting to find a molt BC she looked very vibrant, yet her abdomen did look quite large. I never found a molt, not even pieces of one. So I'm pretty sure I just rehoused her pre-molt.

Can that harm her BC it's like a double-whammy: getting rehoused while being in pre-molt. When a T molts, can it choose when to? Or is it like when u gotta throw up - your body does what it does regardless - u can't hold back barf, it comes on ITS own terms... Lol

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
As long as she wasnt thrown about I'm sure shes fine. I rehoused 2 P. eclesiasticus couple nights ago and one molted right after.

As for the can they choose when to molt? I think in a way yes. I believe they can get ready then moult.

Obv it would be different if was already in the process.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive rehoused some Ts without knowing they were premolt. theyre all fine. i think Ts can hold back a molt a bit, so if conditions arent good it wait till they change, but not forever.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok goodie. She was very gently coaxed into her new home w a fine paint brush. She's definitively not hurt physically. I was just worried it might make things more difficult for her. But luckily it sounds like not.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok goodie. She was very gently coaxed into her new home w a fine paint brush. She's definitively not hurt physically. I was just worried it might make things more difficult for her. But luckily it sounds like not.
I've heard that it's OK to do (and have done) a rehouse during premolt. I've noticed they seemed to settle faster. Possibly because of that need for a new tunnel/hammock/area to molt in, but who knows. They've all four (I know, only four :rolleyes: ) molted at least twice since their respective moves no problem.

louise f

Arachnoangel
My sweet friend, i wouldn`t worry about it. And Dont beat up yourself about it. <3 I`ve done it tons of times, no harme done. All of them are fine and thrives this day <3 :):kiss:
I bet your girl will molt anytime soon. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's my opinion they don't control when they molt, no more than a snake controls when it's going to shed. They do set up web mats and such and exhibit other behaviors indicating a molt. However predicting the specific day/time, I don't buy it. I could be wrong, and if so, would like to read data demonstrating they do.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My sweet friend, i wouldn`t worry about it. And Dont beat up yourself about it. <3 I`ve done it tons of times, no harme done. All of them are fine and thrives this day <3 :):kiss:
I bet your girl will molt anytime soon. :)
Well after all the big mess w the poor subfusca (who I haven't autopsied yet, sorry guys I will very soon!) I want all my Ts to be as content as possible... thanks for being a sweetheart xo