rehouseing a gbb and p.metillaca both are little over 2''

Abyss

Arachnoknight
*note* before i say what i say that i fully agree w/ @cold blood about GBB's and exo terras NOT being a good fit for each other due to substrate lvl's given that GBB's are terestrial.

That said, my old female GBB lived a long and happy life in a 12x12x12 exo terra.
I made sure she had a few nice small hides to choose from as well as tons of anchor points for the massive web she made and due to the hides i built her, she chose not to burrow and was quite happy with her ground lvl labrynth of tunnels she made (using all 3 hides FYI). I had lots of various foliage, vines, thick branches etc and she did enjoy climbing up and webbing all the way to the top. Her tunnels ran diagonal, verticle, and horizontal. It was very awesome.

She never chose to burrow at all (never moved any sub that i could tell actually) BUT had she tried to burrow even a small ammount, she would have been moved to a proper terestrial enclosure.

Perhaps its experiences like mine with GBB's that lead ppl to say they are "semi-arborial" (which i will admit i sort of agree with) but i think its more that they are excessive web artists and will simply web everything possible weather its verticle or not.

I cant stress enough his was only MY exoerience with 1 particular GBB and it worked great. All my other in sinilar setups wanted to burrow and this were rehoused into proper terestrial homes Otherwise they would not have been able to burrow properly in an exo terra

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
*note* before i say what i say that i fully agree w/ @cold blood about GBB's and exo terras NOT being a good fit for each other due to substrate lvl's given that GBB's are terestrial.

That said, my old female GBB lived a long and happy life in a 12x12x12 exo terra.
I made sure she had a few nice small hides to choose from as well as tons of anchor points for the massive web she made and due to the hides i built her, she chose not to burrow and was quite happy with her ground lvl labrynth of tunnels she made (using all 3 hides FYI). I had lots of various foliage, vines, thick branches etc and she did enjoy climbing up and webbing all the way to the top. Her tunnels ran diagonal, verticle, and horizontal. It was very awesome.

She never chose to burrow at all (never moved any sub that i could tell actually) BUT had she tried to burrow even a small ammount, she would have been moved to a proper terestrial enclosure.

Perhaps its experiences like mine with GBB's that lead ppl to say they are "semi-arborial" (which i will admit i sort of agree with) but i think its more that they are excessive web artists and will simply web everything possible weather its verticle or not.

I cant stress enough his was only MY exoerience with 1 particular GBB and it worked great. All my other in sinilar setups wanted to burrow and this were rehoused into proper terestrial homes Otherwise they would not have been able to burrow properly in an exo terra
What size, DLS, was she?
Were the hides at different elevations or one level?
Did she web up the entire 12x12 sub floor?

Dennis Cureton

Arachnopeon
@Dennis Cureton

GBBs are not terrestrial AND arboreal. They are terrestrial. The person who told you that is wrong, they do not share the anatomy of any NW arboreal either by the way.

NOW, you may be able to use your ExoTerra at some point, even if it's an arboreal setup IF and only IF you do this basic conversion for a terrestrial T

This would prevent you from buying a new setup.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ex...rom-arboreal-to-terrestrial-pic-heavy.259864/
thanks for replying and the info i wish i would of thought of this or seen this before lol but the enclosure i got for my gbb is the 12 x 12x 12x so that wouldn't work ..but i wish i would have got the 8x8x12 ...maybe ill get the nano 8x8x12 and keep this 12x12x12 and get me another species that would do fine in this one ....do you know of a good legit place to order ts that ship to ky that is healthy and trust worthy

Dennis Cureton

Arachnopeon

how big was your gbb when you put her in the 12x12x12? mine is a lil over 2'' and last molt lost the pinkish legs are more darker grey now

cold blood

Staff member
do you know of a good legit place to order ts that ship to ky that is healthy and trust worthy
There are dozens of dealers and literally hundreds of private breeders that are reliable. Check the classified section as well as the corresponding review section.

Dennis Cureton

Arachnopeon
There are dozens of dealers and literally hundreds of private breeders that are reliable. Check the classified section as well as the corresponding review section.
ok thank you i have been looking at the vercicolor ts that would be my next species

magicmed

Arachnobaron
ok thank you i have been looking at the vercicolor ts that would be my next species
Avicularia versicolor is a great species, just make sure you get plenty of cross vent, which may be a problem if you plan on using glass.

Side note: @cold blood actually has some Avicularia Avicularia for sale at the moment. Check his classified add.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
What size, DLS, was she?
Were the hides at different elevations or one level?
Did she web up the entire 12x12 sub floor?
She was about 3.5"-4" when i moved her to that enclosure and yes the hides were at dif lvl's but not extreme, the sub was simply much higher in the back is all. And yes, she webbed clear to the top, it was very cool looking

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She was about 3.5"-4" when i moved her to that enclosure and yes the hides were at dif lvl's but not extreme, the sub was simply much higher in the back is all. And yes, she webbed clear to the top, it was very cool looking
Their webbing makes them one of the most challenging species to maintain a clean cage via husbandry.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
It's hard to find good glass enclosures for terrestrial Ts. Believe me I've been researching. I don't have a huge collection nor do I plan to get one anytime soon, so I wouldn't even mind paying a bit for a great acrylic or glass enclosure. I'm picky and I've been DIYing a bit to this end. Ive found that the best bet is getting an aquarium and making an acrylic lid, IMO. Much cheaper than exoterra, no issues with substrate height, and overall seems better suited for terrestrial species. Just my two cents for ya.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did you keep her in that till adulthood, if not what did you move her into for final container size (dimensions?). I'm looking for a container that I HOPE my GBB won't web over completely. I've seen what they use in the wild in a video, and they don't go hog wild like they do in captivity it appears (could be wrong). So I'm wondering if perhaps the nature of the setup could curtail some of their redecorating behavior.
See the thing is, with a container all in web, I think she's more likely to investigate husbandry activity (as she does now). I like to avoid such human/T interactions or keep to a minimal. I have 2 fast Ts that are quite, overly curious haha.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I think he meant that you're able to just pile on the substrate in an aquarium, not so much in an Exoterra.
Yes, that is what I meant (she, btw). I can see how exoterra would be a huge pain when it comes to piling on substrate because of those doors. I can also see how they'd be pretty cool for an arboreal species, although paying that much for something you'd still have to modify is a drag.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yes, that is what I meant (she, btw). I can see how exoterra would be a huge pain when it comes to piling on substrate because of those doors. I can also see how they'd be pretty cool for an arboreal species, although paying that much for something you'd still have to modify is a drag.
Sorry, she :)

You know, I've found that in this hobby, every enclosure has at least a dash of DIY. Even those custom acrylic enclosures come with screen air holes that need to be replaced. I've only seen one acrylic box that has the air holes drilled into the side.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Sorry, she :)

You know, I've found that in this hobby, every enclosure has at least a dash of DIY. Even those custom acrylic enclosures come with screen air holes that need to be replaced. I've only seen one acrylic box that has the air holes drilled into the side.
I'm getting that! DIY just means more putzing around with the hobby, which is fun. My spouse built a whole patio with the time I have spent researching and playing around with enclosure ideas, because we both work on projects when thE kid is napping! He has a lot more to show than I do, I have to say!

Now have you seen some of the enclosures in UK? They are cool! I saw some on Amazon, although they don't ship to the US. @Chris LXXIX has also posted some info about really wonderful glass enclosures in Europe. Much nicer. I'm envious!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm getting that! DIY just means more putzing around with the hobby, which is fun. My spouse built a whole patio with the time I have spent researching and playing around with enclosure ideas, because we both work on projects when thE kid is napping! He has a lot more to show than I do, I have to say!

Now have you seen some of the enclosures in UK? They are cool! I saw some on Amazon, although they don't ship to the US. @Chris LXXIX has also posted some info about really wonderful glass enclosures in Europe. Much nicer. I'm envious!
Yeah, it's really too bad we don't have access to those. Not that I care too much, I've found what works and I stick with it. For the most part, I just use Really Useful Boxes and fit an acrylic lid to them for easy viewing. Expensive enclosures aren't really possible with any high number of tarantulas.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah, it's really too bad we don't have access to those. Not that I care too much, I've found what works and I stick with it. For the most part, I just use Really Useful Boxes and fit an acrylic lid to them for easy viewing. Expensive enclosures aren't really possible with any high number of tarantulas.
Right, your method is awesome and I'd use it if I had that many Ts. I only have 1 and getting 1 more in August then I am done. Really. At least for now!!!!