Rehoused!

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
Just rehoused Vivi, my 3/4" Euathlus sp. red spiderling! :D Now it's in an enclosure from Jamie's tarantulas which is much better. Arranging everything was actually really fun, and I like how things turned out! I was also finally able to get its molt out of its old burrow, but Vivi destroyed the abdomen so I still can't find out its sex ( ´_ゝ`) I'm not sure what to do with the molt but I definitely want to keep it! What do other people do...? I'm also hoping Vivi will settle in well because I'd really like to offer it some food. Luckily it found the starter burrow pretty quickly! I hope it'll like its new digs and get used to the enclosure soon ・‿・ Not the best pic, but here's the home!
IMG_3374.JPG

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice, I've used those enclosures before and they worked well. I'd recommend a small cap water dish if you don't have one in there.

I kept a few molts when I started not I mostly keep the fangs and only worry with the molts when I'm sexing them.

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice, I'll think about doing that for sure! I've also heard that you can leave drops of water on the leaves and that will work as well, so I'll probably decide between those. Wow, I never even considered being able to keep the fangs! That's so cool :0 I definitely won't be keeping every molt though :')

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I keep every molt:p with a (small lol) collection of 32, I have quite a few now. I pick up shadowboxes and other display cases and glue the molts in there with a label for the specimen and date molted. It's a very nice visual way to track growth. And it keeps people out of my room

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the advice, I'll think about doing that for sure! I've also heard that you can leave drops of water on the leaves and that will work as well, so I'll probably decide between those. Wow, I never even considered being able to keep the fangs! That's so cool :0 I definitely won't be keeping every molt though :')
You can do that as well. The problem with that is you have to water a lot more often that way and if your T doesn't drink before the drops evaporate then they have to wait till you water again.

It's cool when one of my big Ts molt. The fangs are neat to look at up close with a microscope.

Good luck with your sling.

Last edited:

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
I keep every molt:p with a (small lol) collection of 32, I have quite a few now. I pick up shadowboxes and other display cases and glue the molts in there with a label for the specimen and date molted. It's a very nice visual way to track growth. And it keeps people out of my room
Oh, that's a really good idea!! I'd love to have a display like that, and it would be awesome to be able to track the change over time :D I'll have to look into getting a shadowbox! I only have the one molt right now though :')

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
You can do that as well. The problem with that is you have to water a lot more often that way and if your T doesn't drink before the drop evaporate then they have to wait till you water again.

It's cool when one of my big Ts molt. The fangs are neat to look at up close with a microscope.

Good luck with your sling.
That's a good point... While I personally don't mind adding water more often, I don't really want to disturb my T unless I have to. The only problem is that there isn't much room for a water dish right now... I'll have to give this more thought :|

This is my first and only T and its a slow growing dwarf, so it'll be quite a while before I can see bigger fangs up close :') I'm already thinking about getting a larger one though, so maybe it'll happen sooner than expected...?

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The only problem is that there isn't much room for a water dish right now... I'll have to give this more thought :|
You can always go with a cut off pen cap or I use these tattoo inkwells for a lot of my small slings. This one is in a 2oz deli cup (the small condiment cups you get at restaurants) with one of my Euathlus sp. Yellow slings. :D

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
You can always go with a cut off pen cap or I use these tattoo inkwells for a lot of my small slings. This one is in a 2oz deli cup (the small condiment cups you get at restaurants) with one of my Euathlus sp. Yellow slings. :D
Oh wow, that's such a great idea!!! I'd been trying to come up with things to use as water dishes in smaller enclosures but didn't think of that at all! Thanks, I'll get on that for sure! Also, those slings are sooo adorable ヽ( •̩̩̩́ ▽ •̩̩̩̀ )ノ

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Oh wow, that's such a great idea!!! I'd been trying to come up with things to use as water dishes in smaller enclosures but didn't think of that at all! Thanks, I'll get on that for sure! Also, those slings are sooo adorable ヽ( •̩̩̩́ ▽ •̩̩̩̀ )ノ
Haha, yeah they are. Speaking of molting did you notice the tiny molt right beside the little guy? :) That photo was after the first molt in my care. They have all molted twice for me.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I think rehousing and redecorating is one of my favorite parts of tarantula care (and probably my Ts' least favorite part). I recently rehoused my adult Euathlus sp. yellow, and I enjoyed creating a nice space for her, even though she felt the need to rearrange things to her liking. I'm getting ready to rehouse my A. genic, which will be the largest T enclosure I've ever done.

I know, waiting for the slow-growing species to gain size is the ultimate test of patience. If you can find an adult sp. red (or yellow), they are a lot of fun. :)

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Oh, that's a really good idea!! I'd love to have a display like that, and it would be awesome to be able to track the change over time :D I'll have to look into getting a shadowbox! I only have the one molt right now though :')
You'll have more before you know it

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
Haha, yeah they are. Speaking of molting did you notice the tiny molt right beside the little guy? :) That photo was after the first molt in my care. They have all molted twice for me.
Awww, I didn't see it at first! :‣ What size are they now?? Are they as slow to grow as E. red?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Awww, I didn't see it at first! :‣ What size are they now?? Are they as slow to grow as E. red?
Yeah, they grow at about the same speed as the reds and are not a lot bigger for the two molts they have done. I have an adult Euathlus sp. Yellow female and I'm hoping one of these 4 slings will be a male so I can breed them. There are a decent amount of sp. Reds in the US but not a lot of sp. Yellows so it would be nice to have more.

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
I think rehousing and redecorating is one of my favorite parts of tarantula care (and probably my Ts' least favorite part). I recently rehoused my adult Euathlus sp. yellow, and I enjoyed creating a nice space for her, even though she felt the need to rearrange things to her liking. I'm getting ready to rehouse my A. genic, which will be the largest T enclosure I've ever done.

I know, waiting for the slow-growing species to gain size is the ultimate test of patience. If you can find an adult sp. red (or yellow), they are a lot of fun. :)
It was definitely an enjoyable experience, and oddly challenging since I was working with such a small space! It felt really rewarding to see Vivi settle in and start exploring its new home :D Arranging larger enclosures is probably even more fun! I'm sure your A. genic will love what you end up doing with the place :')

The waiting part is both frustrating, because right now my spiderling is sooo small, and rewarding, because I get to watch it grow! It's also fun to see its personality emerge and I can't wait until it starts to get its coloring! I can see how having an adult would be wonderful (・∀・)

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
Yeah, they grow at about the same speed as the reds and are not a lot bigger for the two molts they have done. I have an adult Euathlus sp. Yellow female and I'm hoping one of these 4 slings will be a male so I can breed them. There are a decent amount of sp. Reds in the US but not a lot of sp. Yellows so it would be nice to have more.
That's true, I was able to find a place that sold Euathlus sp. red pretty quickly, but so far I've seen barely any yellows or greens. It's kind of surprising because everyone seems to agree that Euathlus have such sweet personalities and they seem pretty popular. Hopefully you will have a male and be able to breed them! I'd definitely be interested in getting an sp. yellow in the future :D

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Ive been trying to keep as many molts as possible but lately all of my T's have been destrying them. I was able to get a great molt of my male GBB that is great to show so im happy with it.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Just rehoused Vivi, my 3/4" Euathlus sp. red spiderling! :D Now it's in an enclosure from Jamie's tarantulas which is much better. Arranging everything was actually really fun, and I like how things turned out! I was also finally able to get its molt out of its old burrow, but Vivi destroyed the abdomen so I still can't find out its sex ( ´_ゝ`) I'm not sure what to do with the molt but I definitely want to keep it! What do other people do...? I'm also hoping Vivi will settle in well because I'd really like to offer it some food. Luckily it found the starter burrow pretty quickly! I hope it'll like its new digs and get used to the enclosure soon ・‿・ Not the best pic, but here's the home!
Nice! Rehousing can be very stressful so im glad it went well. I keep all the molts that I am able to in a littlebin that I life to show to people.

MeltDown

Arachnopeon
Nice! Rehousing can be very stressful so im glad it went well. I keep all the molts that I am able to in a littlebin that I life to show to people.
Yeah, things went surprisingly smoothly (once I got Vivi out of its burrow :') ) and I don't think it was too terribly stressful. That's so cool! It probably makes for some interesting conversations :D