Rehoused pokie sling due to mold...

5dice

Arachnopeon
IMG_3213.JPG
It's way bigger than I wanted, but it was all I had. I'll have to watch that it feeds carefully and that it gets to water. Had to gut the previous housing. May have to move him back if he can't find food.
Exo Terra Nano 8x8x12. At least it looks nice!
But, now, I'm a worried papa.
Anybody raise slings in large enclosures? Pokies in particular?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
How big is the sling? I would be very wary of that slot under the door. Also as it gets bigger you should replace that screen with acrylic as T's have been known to tear through it.

5dice

Arachnopeon
How big is the sling? I would be very wary of that slot under the door. Also as it gets bigger you should replace that screen with acrylic as T's have been known to tear through it.
About 1 1/4" now. I could tape up the slot for now. Acrylic is already on my shopping list...

FYI that "slot" is only exterior ventilation. The interior openings to the slot are VERY thin slots that the T simply cannot fit thru. So that's safe.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just so you know, there's a little lip underneath the door frame on these and a Pokie sling can completely disappear into that thing. When I first upgraded my Pokie into one of these (and he was probably closer to 2") he vanished into that plastic molding around the door and I hardly saw him for weeks. The not seeing him I could deal with - some Ts are like that - but when he first vanished, right after being rehoused, I could not figure out where he'd gone. I was afraid he'd managed to get out through one of the ventilation holes or something. I tore the whole tank apart looking for him - and then tore the room apart, too - only to have him "magically" reappear in his cage a few nights later. Finally figured it out one night when he carelessly left one leg sticking out - after that at least I knew where he was.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
For the next couple of molts you can feed prekilled prey that way you can place it near it hide and also know if its been eaten or not. If its not already in there put in a water dish.

cold blood

Staff member
Seriously, any grocery store or a deli has 32oz deli cups....go get one and use that. I don't see how that enclosure was even a consideration for a sling that size.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If that is Exo Terra nano make sure the cable slots at the top are slide/closed as a sling that size would be able to escape through them with ease.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just look through your kitchen, I'm sure you have a tub lying around somewhere. I have 2 P.Mirandas of the same size and I couldn't even imagine putting them into an enclosure of that size.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's a pretty big enclosure.. Relative to a Poec sitting on tree trunk in India it's pretty small ;-).

Follow the advice given so far and the T will be fine..

5dice

Arachnopeon
I found him. There is the slightest gap at the top back, between the foam background and the top, behind the fake plant. He's hiding out in there. I'll put a couple of pre-killed dubia in some strategic locations and wait him out. He's been very non-hidey-spidey up to this point. All over the glass and all spread out. So I'll expect him to settle in and go back to normal over the next week.

Thanks for the advice on pre-killed. That's a good idea in a cage this big (and prey/hunter that tiny).

5dice

Arachnopeon
Wow, I simply cannot find him. I know there isn't an escape route for him. MUST be in there somewhere. I've left two dead roaches, one near his water dish, the other on the bark. But I can't find him anywhere and the roaches haven't been touched. He's not where he was the first time I found him.

Pokies won't burrow, right? I didn't provide much substrate. (Once I find him I will put MORE in to fill in some gaps I've noticed.)

Worried... I know he can go a while. But we're going on a week since he ate last...

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I simply cannot find him. I know there isn't an escape route for him. MUST be in there somewhere. I've left two dead roaches, one near his water dish, the other on the bark. But I can't find him anywhere and the roaches haven't been touched. He's not where he was the first time I found him.

Pokies won't burrow, right? I didn't provide much substrate. (Once I find him I will put MORE in to fill in some gaps I've noticed.)

Worried... I know he can go a while. But we're going on a week since he ate last...
Poecilotheria will burrow as slings, even as adults too, my adult female P.Regalis has burrowed quite a bit in her enclosure.

If I was you I'd slowly take apart the whole enclosure in an enclosed enviroment in case the sling bolts, and when it's found, put it into a smaller enclosure. That enclosure is simply too big to keep an eye on such a small sling.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria will burrow as slings, even as adults too, my adult female P.Regalis has burrowed quite a bit in her enclosure.

If I was you I'd slowly take apart the whole enclosure in an enclosed enviroment in case the sling bolts, and when it's found, put it into a smaller enclosure. That enclosure is simply too big to keep an eye on such a small sling.
As soon as I have time I intend to do exactly that. Me, the bathtub, and the spider...

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
IMG_6514.JPG
Here's a picture of my setup for my P. metallica. I got the container at Walmart for $2. For scale, (s)he's just around 2" DLS. I think a setup like this would work very well for your Pokie. It also provides you the convenience of customizing your ventilation. As you can see, I melted numerous holes to maximize airflow and avoid stagnant air. I also mixed sphagnum moss in with my coco coir to further assist with moisture retention and mold prevention.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
As soon as I have time I intend to do exactly that. Me, the bathtub, and the spider...
I'd just give it some time and some peace. If I tore apart a tarantula enclosure every time one went 'missing' for a while half my enclosures would be tore apart. If they are well fed some of my pokies have went missing for weeks at the time only to come out later molted. My H. sp. Colombia large went MIA for almost three months only to appear last night much larger.

You moving the enclosure around trying to see it only makes it want to work harder at hiding. As long as it's clear there is no way for the tarantula to get out vents or an opening let it be. :)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
View attachment 220985
Here's a picture of my setup for my P. metallica. I got the container at Walmart for $2. For scale, (s)he's just around 2" DLS. I think a setup like this would work very well for your Pokie. It also provides you the convenience of customizing your ventilation. As you can see, I melted numerous holes to maximize airflow and avoid stagnant air. I also mixed sphagnum moss in with my coco coir to further assist with moisture retention and mold prevention.
What are the exact name of the containers??

Were they brought empty or food came in them?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
What are the exact name of the containers??

Were they brought empty or food came in them?
The brand is Mainstays. I found them in the same aisle as the Tupperware and mason jars. They came empty! I just give them a quick rinse with warm water and a drop of dish soap to be safe though.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
The brand is Mainstays. I found them in the same aisle as the Tupperware and mason jars. They came empty! I just give them a quick rinse with warm water and a drop of dish soap to be safe though.

Thanks!!

These the permanent homes for your aboreals?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Thanks!!

These the permanent homes for your aboreals?
Not permanent, since they'll outgrow an enclosure of this size eventually. However, they make a container that holds 1 gallon (mine are 0.5, I believe) that should work perfectly as the next step up. Eventually all of my Ts will end up in display-quality enclosures, but I've found these to work very swimmingly for growing Ts. Plus they're dirt cheap!

5dice

Arachnopeon
Not permanent, since they'll outgrow an enclosure of this size eventually. However, they make a container that holds 1 gallon (mine are 0.5, I believe) that should work perfectly as the next step up. Eventually all of my Ts will end up in display-quality enclosures, but I've found these to work very swimmingly for growing Ts. Plus they're dirt cheap!
I ALMOST bought one of these. In hindsight... Wish I had.

Anyhow... How long can I leave pre-killed in the enclosure before I need to swap it out for new pre-killed? If he's hiding that well, I'm not even sure the two that are in there are going to be found...