Rehoused Poeki Sling to Reasonable Home

5dice

Arachnopeon
So, the Exo Terra Nano that served as a sanctuary while I de-molded the previous spice container, proved to be too big for the little tyke. I am convinced he would never find food hanging out around the top edges all the time. Here he is in his favorite hiding place:
IMG_3235.JPG

Now he's back in his appropriate home:
IMG_3239.JPG

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

DeanK

Arachnosquire
That looks really barren, needs cork bark and some plants so it can hide and feel safe

5dice

Arachnopeon
That looks really barren, needs cork bark and some plants so it can hide and feel safe
Yeah, tomorrow I'll take time to break a bigger piece down. Didn't have anything small enough. What he had before made maintenance impossible.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Lol.. I raise less than 1/2 in avic slings in 16oz deli containers.. You underestimate the hunting prowess of the Tarantula..

5dice

Arachnopeon
Lol.. I raise less than 1/2 in avic slings in 16oz deli containers.. You underestimate the hunting prowess of the Tarantula..
I trust that 's true. But I'm not betting a $125 sling on it... probably still have a live Roach hiding in the Exo terra that I can't even find!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I trust that 's true. But I'm not betting a $125 sling on it... probably still have a live Roach hiding in the Exo terra that I can't even find!
Eh. I don't blame you man.. They grow fast you will be able to use that exo terra soon enough..Lol

5dice

Arachnopeon
Well, he took pre-killed during the night last night. So that puts me at ease that it was the right move!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, the Exo Terra Nano that served as a sanctuary while I de-molded the previous spice container, proved to be too big for the little tyke. I am convinced he would never find food hanging out around the top edges all the time. Here he is in his favorite hiding place:
View attachment 221350

Now he's back in his appropriate home:
View attachment 221351

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
When you're ready for the Exo, do this to make it SAFER for your T http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ex...rom-arboreal-to-terrestrial-pic-heavy.259864/

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah my Pokie slings are bigger than .5 inch but still in relatively large enclosures. I have a 1 inch P. regalis and a 1.5 inch P. metallica and both are in 32 oz tall deli containers and neither have had any problem at all finding their food. But I can understand your concern. Like @14pokies said, they grow fast so you'll be able to use that enclosure sooner rather than later.

Add: Thanks for that link, @viper69! I've been looking around for a good tutorial on replacing the Exo Terra mesh tops with acrylic/plexi.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
P. Metallica is an arboreal. I know this layout works well for poeki's. But that's a great mod for terrestrials. But doesn't Exo make decent terrestrial enclosures now?
IME all Exo Terras have the mesh tops, but I could be wrong and they could have something new.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P. Metallica is an arboreal. I know this layout works well for poeki's. But that's a great mod for terrestrials. But doesn't Exo make decent terrestrial enclosures now?
I'm well aware the Poki genus is arboreal. I remember when P mets were $400 a sling, and my both my P. rufi certainly were arboreal ;).

The point wasn't for you to turn your setup into a terrestrial setup, but provide a means for you to use your arboreal setup at some point as it was intended but SAFELY ;) I don't think you picked up on that based on your response.

Correct w/screen tops. However, they are too tall for terresrials, and their design prevents one from putting in a lot of sub to prevent fall injury/death.

If one only had access to Exo, one is better off w/an arboreal and doing that mod IMO, than getting a terrestrial.

ZooMed came out with a low profile screen tank (it's LARGE). I talked to the company told them if they made one that is low profile, AND provides acrylic lid ability, NOT screen, they would have a market.

IME all Exo Terras have the mesh tops, but I could be wrong and they could have something new.
You are right, all have screen.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah my Pokie slings are bigger than .5 inch but still in relatively large enclosures. I have a 1 inch P. regalis and a 1.5 inch P. metallica and both are in 32 oz tall deli containers and neither have had any problem at all finding their food. But I can understand your concern. Like @14pokies said, they grow fast so you'll be able to use that enclosure sooner rather than later.

Add: Thanks for that link, @viper69! I've been looking around for a good tutorial on replacing the Exo Terra mesh tops with acrylic/plexi.
No prob. I thought it was the best solution when I saw it posted, and bookmarked it.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Correct w/screen tops.

You are right, all have screen.
Yeah, for a terrestrial or new world arboreal you want to do acrylic top. But I thought that the old world arboreals didn't have the hooks that made the screen undesirable?

If I'm wrong on that front, then please, correct me. I'll get it swapped out long before it is an issue for my poeki.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron

I did this for one of my exo terras. I just cut out the mesh as close as I could get to the rim. Then glue acrylic in from the inside so the remnants of mesh are on the outside.

For cutting I just used garden shears (the small ones that look like scissors)