Rehoused my spiders

draiko

Arachnosquire
I rehoused my spiders. The N. Chromatum is new and the B. Vagans Ive had in one container for 6 months. When I saw some of the terrariums on here i realized mine was too small. So I think these are alright.

What do you think?

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
well chromatus has a mansion now :D It will grow into it.. eventually :D but as a rule of thumb, Ts do like cramped places. I don't know how you'd kept it before, so I can't say that the rehouse was unnecessary, but just as a thought - Ts don't really need much space :) And your chromatus has twice its needs :p

draiko

Arachnosquire
Okay. I thought so, but they both need it, my Chromatus came in a tub that wasn't even double him, and my Vagans was just just double in length and in width he isn't even fully expanded. So they both needed. I know I might come into feeding problems , but I do meal worms so they might be slow enough for the T's.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Okay. I thought so, but they both need it, my Chromatus came in a tub that wasn't even double him, and my Vagans was just just double in length and in width he isn't even fully expanded. So they both needed. I know I might come into feeding problems , but I do meal worms so they might be slow enough for the T's.
Mealworms are fast to burrow into the substrate, only to reappear again later as a bug that most tarantulas won´t eat. Make sure that you drop them just in front of the T.

cold blood

Staff member
Too big, a 16oz deli cup is far better.

A paper cup hide isn't appropriate, use something that won't break down. On top of that, the hides the way they are set up is useless for a t. Hides should be buried, ts like tight places, not open ones.

I feel like this is the 10th time this week ive posted this, but set them up like this...16oz deli. Notice the hide, its actually a good size chunk of wood, but its buried so its just a small entrance hole.

Attachments

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
I am sorry, but I am getting a bit confused.

I am on this forum and on a facebook page for T's that is english/european (I am from the Netherlands/europe) and there seems to be a difference in preference for housing T's here I see people say they like it cramped and smaller while in europe people tend to give them a little more space.

My personal experience, I got some T's set up somewhat cramped and some with a little more space and all of them are doing fine, i feed crickets and just drop it near them and they pounce it like there is no tomorrow. I do have to say that I do see that the T's with more space do use it and do walk and web all around the enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

I am on this forum and on a facebook page for T's that is english/european (I am from the Netherlands/europe) and there seems to be a difference in preference for housing T's here I see people say they like it cramped and smaller while in europe people tend to give them a little more space.

My personal experience, I got some T's set up somewhat cramped and some with a little more space and all of them are doing fine, i feed crickets and just drop it near them and they pounce it like there is no tomorrow. I do have to say that I do see that the T's with more space do use it and do walk and web all around the enclosure.
its personal preference really, within reason of course. i like to give mine a bit more space. in the wild they spend 99% of their time in their burrows, they really dont need alot of room. spiders with tons of open space tend to become stressed and hide in a corner.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
ah yeah, I agree with you. I like to give them a little more room to move around but indeed within reason, to prevent the stress I give them a good hide and some of them use it some are always just right there in the open.

cold blood

Staff member

Smaller and cramped are very different things. Cramped is NEVER good...small is fine. The deli cup I posted would not in any way be cramped for your t. They're fine in them till about 3", then they get a little cramped and need to be re-housed.

cold blood

Staff member
its personal preference really, within reason of course. i like to give mine a bit more space. in the wild they spend 99% of their time in their burrows, they really dont need alot of room. spiders with tons of open space tend to become stressed and hide in a corner.
Or they hide all the time.