Rehoused my LP

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Messages
4
Rehoused my LP due to it acting "funny".

Ok, I admit, I don't know what funny is for an LP, only having about 2-3 weeks experience with one, but mine isn't eating. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but that's what happened with Squirt. S/he stopped eating and I had thought it was due to being in pre-molt, but I know Chocolate molted recently due to the darker coloring and the molt I found in it's container when I got her or him. :8o

I am hoping to see it start eating again. I read about everyone else's LP being a voracious eater and mine hardly ever eats. It acts scared of the tongs and I've watched the cricket jump all over it and it just skitters away like it's terrified (I know, it can't be, but you know how we humans have to humanize everything we care for... soo.... :D) I had it in a KK and I'm thinking it was too small for it. I probably should have bought a 5.5g tank for now, but I had a spare 10g, so I used that. I guesstimate that Chocolate is about 2.5" ...the 10g is a bit of an overkill. :D I provided a hide and a new waterdish and some pothos plants to up the oxygenation as well. I'll let you know how Chocolate settles in.

Chocolate freaking out in the corner j/k


new hidey-hole :D


Also, I was afraid of the "bark" on the hide hurting Chocolate, so I covered it was some dampened coco fiber and will be smoothing it down tomorrow. Just in case someone says something about it. ;)
 
Last edited:

AgentD006las

Arach-how about..NO
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
590
It would seem everything is normal. If i were you id make sure there are no chemicals around your Ts. Wash your hands often. Dont use flea medicine in your home ect. Im not saying any of these things caused your Ts death but they should be considered. I hope you have better luck with this T. BTW nice enclosure. :clap:
 

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Messages
4
Ok, I'll be extra cautious about chemicals. Maybe I wasn't diligent enough before with Squirt? Are avics more sensitive to pesticides, or all Ts are equally sensitive? :confused:

And also, thank you! I have nothing but respect for your opinion since all of your posts to me and others I've read have always been very informative and helpful. Means a lot.
 

AgentD006las

Arach-how about..NO
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
590
Ok, I'll be extra cautious about chemicals. Maybe I wasn't diligent enough before with Squirt? Are avics more sensitive to pesticides, or all Ts are equally sensitive? :confused:

And also, thank you! I have nothing but respect for your opinion since all of your posts to me and others I've read have always been very informative and helpful. Means a lot.
I dont know the whole science on pesticides and chemicals but they can build up in your T slowly since they cant be metabolized out (pesticides anyway). And it doesnt take much to kill a tarantula. The bathtub is a nasty place to let your T walk, carpet ect. I had my first 2 G. rosea die when i started. I blame myself for handling them after petting our 4 legged flea bitten chemical rag. I dont use poison on my dog and am working on converting my sister to do the same.

And we all know Avics have a high death rate for some unexplained reason(s).

I wouldnt think the species would make a difference.

Sorry for the novel. :eek:

-Doug
 

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
8
I think its cause we got the Pink toe from pet store that it didn't last long.:(. I willing to bet if we buy straight from breeder at the same size we would have it for a few more years. Live and learn we thought we were rescuing it. I would like to have another Pink Toe. but waiting till after the Holiday's and Vehicle repair are done.
 

AgentD006las

Arach-how about..NO
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
590
I think its cause we got the Pink toe from pet store that it didn't last long.:(. I willing to bet if we buy straight from breeder at the same size we would have it for a few more years. Live and learn we thought we were rescuing it. I would like to have another Pink Toe. but waiting till after the Holiday's and Vehicle repair are done.
Avics are great. I never realized how much i miss having my biggest A. avicularia until i sent him off when he matured. Something about the way they walk reminds me of a ninja, not beverly hills ninja of course. ;)
 
Last edited:

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Messages
4
It also looks like you should add more substrate.
Yeah, I realized that yesterday when Chocolate climbed to the top of the tank, I am going to do that sometime today. I thought I had more substrate, but after I got home hubby reminded me we used it for another enclosure. :p

Also, thank you for answering my question Doug. :D
 

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
46
Rehoused my LP due to it acting "funny".

Ok, I admit, I don't know what funny is for an LP, only having about 2-3 weeks experience with one, but mine isn't eating. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but that's what happened with Squirt. S/he stopped eating and I had thought it was due to being in pre-molt, but I know Chocolate molted recently due to the darker coloring and the molt I found in it's container when I got her or him. :8o

I am hoping to see it start eating again. I read about everyone else's LP being a voracious eater and mine hardly ever eats. It acts scared of the tongs and I've watched the cricket jump all over it and it just skitters away like it's terrified (I know, it can't be, but you know how we humans have to humanize everything we care for... soo.... :D) I had it in a KK and I'm thinking it was too small for it. I probably should have bought a 5.5g tank for now, but I had a spare 10g, so I used that. I guesstimate that Chocolate is about 2.5" ...the 10g is a bit of an overkill. :D I provided a hide and a new waterdish and some pothos plants to up the oxygenation as well. I'll let you know how Chocolate settles in.

Chocolate freaking out in the corner j/k


new hidey-hole :D


Also, I was afraid of the "bark" on the hide hurting Chocolate, so I covered it was some dampened coco fiber and will be smoothing it down tomorrow. Just in case someone says something about it. ;)
:clap: Congrats on your beautiful LP and the rehouse :) looks like fun!
My 1" LP is very skiddish too! Oh does yours burrow? Mine went to town rearranged everything, even buried his dinner in the chaos lol.
It did not eat for about a week when it first arrived I was so worried.
Funny thing was I tried everything to get the little guy to eat, prekilled, mangled, frozen, etc etc ,etc.
To keep mine from being terrorized by its food I liberate a leg or two from the cricket. {D
(grab em by the leg and give them a shake and it comes right off.)
I also have found he/she demands privacy when eating.LOL:?
If it ends up to be a girl I might call her princess!:wall:
 
Top