Rehouse, easier than expected.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
After waiting 2 days for the soil to reach room temperature, I rehoused both of my O. aureotibialis this morning.
Quite surprised when each backed into the transfer container without a threat posture. At the sling and juvenile stage both were defensive at the slightest disturbance of the enclosuses.
The old enclosures were roughly 7" diameter by 4" tall. Not enough sub for adequate burrowing, IMO, so a rehouse was in order. The new ones are providing 7" of firmly packed topsoil, but they may need more depth. Only time will tell. I may, down the road, transfer them to a pair of 14"X10"X10" enclosures I have.
I really lucked out as both are female but not mature for breeding yet. Hopefully after their next molt I'll be looking for a male. They are a beautiful species and on the surface quite often for viewing.
Included a photo of #1 when she was a sling to show coloration from sling to adult size.

Attachments

creepa

Arachnoknight
Where do they have to put the substrate if they deside to dig?
There is no space to move the dugout substrate to...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Where do they have to put the substrate if they deside to dig?
There is no space to move the dugout substrate to...
I did that once and learned my lesson. I was carefully removing it with a spoon every time I fed or gave them water. I couldn't believe how much I ended up taking out. Now I take that into account.
That is a really gorgeous species. Very stunning.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@creepa is right, but I usually do pretty much the same thing. When I rehouse a burrower into a container with little height, I just find myself scooping out spoonfulls every couple of nights for a few weeks until the little bugger settles in. It's not that I worry about the height, it's that I try to give as much room as possible for burrowing depth.