Rehoming juvenile t possibly in pre molt.

Gillianthomas

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if I can move my Honduran curly hair tarantula from this critter keeper to the 6 gal tank. It's abdomen went from a tan brown to this black I it might be in premolt. Or should I wait until after it molts?
16606987601806122768043682959513.jpg IMG20220816093052.jpg

favilla

Arachnopeon
I don’t feel like I can see the pic super well, but I personally feel if you have any suspicion it’s in premolt it’s safest not to rehouse it until after. How long have you had it, do you know when it last molted? And has it shown any other signs of premolt like not taking food?

Gillianthomas

Arachnopeon
I don’t feel like I can see the pic super well, but I personally feel if you have any suspicion it’s in premolt it’s safest not to rehouse it until after. How long have you had it, do you know when it last molted? And has it shown any other signs of premolt like not taking food?
Its last feeding day would have been Thursday and it didn't eat but it ate the week before that. I do not know when the last time it molted because I got it 2 weeks ago and it ate the first Thursday feeding day. I was going to see if it would eat this Thursday. This picture is from last week and now the area where it is tannish or bald looking is now pure black. How long after a molt should i wait to rehome it?

Attachments

favilla

Arachnopeon
Its last feeding day would have been Thursday and it didn't eat but it ate the week before that. I do not know when the last time it molted because I got it 2 weeks ago and it ate the first Thursday feeding day. I was going to see if it would eat this Thursday. This picture is from last week and now the area where it is tannish or bald looking is now pure black. How long after a molt should i wait to rehome it?
Hmm yeah I personally would assume it’s in premolt to be on the safe side, and especially if it doesn’t eat the next time either, though that’s not always a perfect indicator (I had a T just a few days ago who ate a huge meal and then molted about 5 mins later). But the curly hairs I’ve had were always good eaters and when they’d refuse food it was always bc they were in premolt. It’s a little hard to say since you haven’t had it very long yet, and they’re all different, but if you wanna be safe I’d probably wait and see what happens. They can also stay in premolt for a long time sometimes so it can be kind of a waiting game. Is there any way you could ask the person you got it from when its last molt was? That could help better determine as well. I usually like to give my guys some time after their molt before I move them, like a week or so, just to make sure they feel fully secure again.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
How long after a molt should i wait to rehome it?
Depends on leg span, "juvenile" isn't very specific, if it's under 3" then wait a week, if it's 3" - 4" then wait 10 days, if it's over 4" then that's subadult/adult territory and you should wait at least 2 weeks, easiest way to tell if they are fully hardened is to check if the fangs have turned black.

I was wondering if I can move my Honduran curly hair tarantula from this critter keeper to the 6 gal tank.
Tbh, this is gonna be excessive for anything other than a fully grown adult (even then it's still a bit on the big side), oversized enclosures can have a negative impact on behaviour, feeding, and growth rates.

Gillianthomas

Arachnopeon
I
Hmm yeah I personally would assume it’s in premolt to be on the safe side, and especially if it doesn’t eat the next time either, though that’s not always a perfect indicator (I had a T just a few days ago who ate a huge meal and then molted about 5 mins later). But the curly hairs I’ve had were always good eaters and when they’d refuse food it was always bc they were in premolt. It’s a little hard to say since you haven’t had it very long yet, and they’re all different, but if you wanna be safe I’d probably wait and see what happens. They can also stay in premolt for a long time sometimes so it can be kind of a waiting game. Is there any way you could ask the person you got it from when its last molt was? That could help better determine as well. I usually like to give my guys some time after their molt before I move them, like a week or so, just to make sure they feel fully secure again.
I was going to call the place I got it from today to talk to them.

Depends on leg span, "juvenile" isn't very specific, if it's under 3" then wait a week, if it's 3" - 4" then wait 10 days, if it's over 4" then that's subadult/adult territory and you should wait at least 2 weeks, easiest way to tell if they are fully hardened is to check if the fangs have turned black.

Tbh, this is gonna be excessive for anything other than a fully grown adult (even then it's still a bit on the big side), oversized enclosures can have a negative impact on behaviour, feeding, and growth rates.
I thought enclosures can be 5.5-10gal.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you think it’s in premolt than the answer is pretty clear, just wait. it! It doesn’t look like it’s in any risk of being outgrown in the KK.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I thought enclosures can be 5.5-10gal.
That sounds like something you either pulled from a care sheet or heard from someone who thinks tarantulas need way more space than they actually do, 3 gallons is more than big enough for average sized species, 10 gallons is excessive for pretty much anything but the largest species.

cold blood

Staff member
If a molt is emminent...as in its already laid down a molting mat, then wait....otherwise it can be moved....just because a t is pre molt doesnt mean its immobile and its not like its going to suddenly explode because its pre molt.

joossa

Arachnobaron
I, too would wait until it molts. There's no rush. Hope all turns out okay! 😀

I have some of my larger Brachypelma in 10 gallon tanks and they do just fine. Eat and grow well and don't show any signs of stress or strange behavior issues. My 5.5in B. hamorii female is in a 10G (loads of sub in there) and she appreciates all the space. Has two hides, two water bowls, a cork flat to sit on. No issues whatsoever. I also have a 5.5in B. albiceps in a 10G low profile tank. No issues. They sometimes walk around and hang out in different spots on different days. Just have to make you have enough sub and an appropriate lid.

20210411_135120.jpg 20220412_202549.jpg 20211120_095133.jpg 20220813_204351.jpg 20220813_204449.jpg

I think I know the enclosure you are looking to move your T into. The ZooMed Creatures low profile den, right? Make sure you swap out the lid it comes with. The T can get its feet stuck in it the mesh and some may be able to chew through the mesh!

Gillianthomas

Arachnopeon
I, too would wait until it molts. There's no rush. Hope all turns out okay! 😀

I have some of my larger Brachypelma in 10 gallon tanks and they do just fine. Eat and grow well and don't show any signs of stress or strange behavior issues. My 5.5in B. hamorii female is in a 10G (loads of sub in there) and she appreciates all the space. Has two hides, two water bowls, a cork flat to sit on. No issues whatsoever. I also have a 5.5in B. albiceps in a 10G low profile tank. No issues. They sometimes walk around and hang out in different spots on different days. Just have to make you have enough sub and an appropriate lid.

View attachment 426560 View attachment 426561 View attachment 426562 View attachment 426563 View attachment 426564

I think I know the enclosure you are looking to move your T into. The ZooMed Creatures low profile den, right? Make sure you swap out the lid it comes with. The T can get its feet stuck in it the mesh and some may be able to chew through the mesh!
Until I can find a proper replacement lid I tapped the top of the screen. Well the. And your right about the enclosure it is.

It molted Saturday.

Attachments