Rehoming an aggressive T

Atmospheric

Arachnopeon
I was given a tarantula today and I couldn't be happier. She was given to me with the common name "Thai Tiger" and she hasn't come out of her burrow yet so I can only make assumptions as to what she is. The guy that gave her to me said she's really fast and really aggressive. This isn't my first quick T, but it's my first angry one. I haven't seen her temperament myself yet so I'm not sure how grumpy she is. Right now she's in a kritter keeper with maybe an inch to two inches of substrate in it and her burrow goes down to the plastic bottom. She wasn't very well cared for in the ways of a proper home and she needs a better set up. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated by the thought of moving her. Any advice would be welcome right now in particular: removing her from her burrow. Thank you kindly.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not sure if I can help you much now, because I will explain what I would do being you. First, I will prepare the new home, so forget about the 'haplo' now (because I'm almost sure, without pics or else of course to judge, that could be an 'haplo' by that common name).

Put a lot of substrate into the new enclosure (at least 7/8) a piece of cork bark, a water dish. Substrate should be moist (not wet uh).

After a couple of days I will take the new enclosure (and the old one, where the spider is) in the bathroom. I use a plastic clean and clear container for moving juve/adults T's (btw, size of yours, more or less?) and a solid cardboard to put under.

With tongs (long tongs) I start to scavenge (gently) the spider. Put the container to spider, cardboard under, move the bugger in the new one, done :)

Pay attention, Asian T's bites are badass and they are very, very fast and prone to bite u_u

Atmospheric

Arachnopeon
She's not too big about 3 1/2 inch leg span (I'm guessing from what parts of her I can see). But like I said, I haven't gotten a good look at her. I have catch cups and tongs and will start setting up her new house on Sunday. In the mean time I will be watching lots of YouTube I'm hopeful that by Monday/Tuesday I will have moved her successfully and with as little stress to her as possible.

cold blood

Staff member
Almost certainly a minax. One of the nastier dispositions for sure. They're famous for dripping venom during threat poses. Pretty sure theyre also known for multiple bites in succession.

Long tongs! And make sure it has deep substrate and don't let it dry out completely.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
the safest way I rehouse my OW Ts is one of these, obviously keeping the hands uncovered for dexterity. image.jpeg
Only joking. I don't have any OW. I use this for my b smithi.

Atmospheric

Arachnopeon
IMG_2519.JPG ALRIGHT!! I have successfully removed crazy legs from her burrow/enclosure. She is FAST! I decided to keep her in the Kritter Keeper for now and a few more inches of substrate and added a bit of cork bark and some sphag moss. I found TWO MOLTS in her burrow, poor girl. I'm thinking Halpopelma longipies??? Not sure though, any ideas?

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
View attachment 220627 ALRIGHT!! I have successfully removed crazy legs from her burrow/enclosure. She is FAST! I decided to keep her in the Kritter Keeper for now and a few more inches of substrate and added a bit of cork bark and some sphag moss. I found TWO MOLTS in her burrow, poor girl. I'm thinking Halpopelma longipies??? Not sure though, any ideas?
Good work on getting her safely out of her burrow! As for the species, there is no way to tell from that picture.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

one of these
@cold blood

No joke, an AB member does exactly that. He made his own hood I believe with some lab surplus or fabbed his own with large sterilite container and made the holes/gloves sections. He uses it for his NW Ts because he's so sensitive to setae. Great idea when you think of escapes and such. Wish I had the post w/his pics.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I was given a tarantula today and I couldn't be happier. She was given to me with the common name "Thai Tiger" and she hasn't come out of her burrow yet so I can only make assumptions as to what she is. The guy that gave her to me said she's really fast and really aggressive. This isn't my first quick T, but it's my first angry one. I haven't seen her temperament myself yet so I'm not sure how grumpy she is. Right now she's in a kritter keeper with maybe an inch to two inches of substrate in it and her burrow goes down to the plastic bottom. She wasn't very well cared for in the ways of a proper home and she needs a better set up. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated by the thought of moving her. Any advice would be welcome right now in particular: removing her from her burrow. Thank you kindly.

Put the smaller enclosure into the big one minus the top, let the T come out on its own

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Well, if they are its MOST LIKELY vonwirthi, but not 100%. There is variation and it might very well be another species in the minax/vonwirthi complex.