Rehabilitating iguanas

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recently acquired two iguanas that are in need of rehabilitation. (the little one more than the larger) A lady has been keeping four together in a cage and the little one is not able to eat. The slightly older ig has been eating just fine and loves the collard greens I give him. Unfortunately, the little ig is anorexic and very dehydrated. He doesn't seem interested in food whatsoever and just lays in the corner. I don't have the money to bring him to the vet for iv fluids and I have to give the little guy back to the woman eventually but I am going to try and get her to give him to me and find him a home later. Anyway on to my question.

I'm going to start with juicy fruits to try and get him hydrated. I don't want to go to force feeding yet as I am afraid his system won't be able to take it without the needed fluids. Is it safe to offer him diluted pedialyte to get him hydrated again?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not too much fruit..it will cause diarrhea and that will cause even worse dehydration.
they gotta have leafy greens and occasional vegetable matter.
as fr as what to do, i dont know if diluted pedielite is safe.
but you could try misting them frequently and using an eyedropper to administer
water.
i also used to mist their food quite a bit.
if they struggle, however, they will expend more energy trying to flee, than shall benefit from any water you give them..especially if they are in bad shape.
i used to mist mine down alot..seemed to really help.
do research around..i wished i had a definitive answer for you.
best of luck.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If he is not drinking then good soaking will do your baby some good.

Fill a container with warm water just enough that the water covers the legs and tail. Your baby souldn't be swiming but resting its feet on the bottom of the container. Soak him for at lest an hour a day. But try to get the baby to relax most reptiles will absorb some water thur there skin and vents. We used this techiuque on many reptiles at the vet, It really helps.
but most of all make sure the water is warm :)

let me know how it all turns out

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would suggest soaking, too. Unless a Vet suggests pedialyte, I wouldn't go that route. Frequent misting and misting any of his greens, as Ted mentioned, is also helpful. This is what I do for my lizards.

I would really try to find a way to get him to an Exotics Vet, though. Even if you have to skip a new pair of shoes or a trip or something... his health is worth it. :)

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
baby food worked wonders for my sick beardie...don't know if it would work for your guy but mine loved it...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just remembered the success that ember had with her Iggie... why not contact her and seek some advice, as well?

Good Luck!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well the little one wouldn't eat on his own. It seems he's too weak to tear the food. He'll chew and swallow only if I place it in his mouth. I have been soaking the little ones in my bathtub. I'm adding reptisafe to dechlorinate the water and pedialyte (per the vet) to their drinking water. I doubt the little one will be willing to drink and i have a feeling I'll be making use of an oral syringe. I'm only feeding him fruit at first so he can be rehydrated. A body needs fluids to be able to digest any food so solid greens will have to come later. I'm going to try to make a paste out of some greens once he gets some fluids in him before I try solid food.