Regrets?

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Very small slings in general, to an extend. Some of my slings are small and can't be seen readily in their deli cups. Those I have look very similar (small grey spiders). I think I will stick to juvie females in the future, or at least bigger slings.

Only exception is my C. Versicolor sling, which is just different and somehow interesting.

ThorsWebb

Arachnopeon
While I definitely have my favorites, can't say there are any I regret. I guess the closest to a regret would would be my third Lp, but since it was a freebie I can't complain too much.
Well, since I do love my LP's, but I only have two, not three, I guess I should not buy another one then.
(I still don't can find out how to use all those "smileys"...so, if you are used to that expression... I have nothing else to say :)
Very small slings in general, to an extend. Some of my slings are small and can't be seen readily in their deli cups. Those I have look very similar (small grey spiders). I think I will stick to juvie females in the future, or at least bigger slings.

Only exception is my C. Versicolor sling, which is just different and somehow interesting.
Yeah! That's really how it is. Blue makes our eyes see the difference. It's really good to be a blue-eyed guy in the spiderworld.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
You know how it goes; you see a spider on a picture, and you fall in love...

You see a spider "live"...and you fall in love...

The feeling of "I must have this one, or else I will die!" get to strong so you just have to buy it. There is no other options. So if you have the space to house it, you buy it.

Perfectly normal spider lover behavior.

But, have you ever purchased a spider that you later regret that you bought (or got as a freebie)? What is the most disappointing spider you ever had? A species you just can not recommend to someone else?
For me it was never a T ive always loved every one of my Ts but what i did regret buying was my Hadrurus arizonensis. when it arived i set up its enclosure and then it did nothing not even eat. then i made its enclosure smaller to see if it was unhappy in a big enclosure and same deal. then i gave it a larger enclosure than the original and same deal except it ate sometimes. ik inverts dont do much but i mean he wouldnt move for days all in all horrible first scorp and not exactly my first recommendation for anyone

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I regret every single spiderling I have purchased who has ended up being male when there is no way I'm going to find a mature female.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I get that. I always regret tarantulas maturing into males. I have no interest in breeding them or breeding loans. I just want spiders with longevity.

As far as regrets go, I really have none, I kind of regret not dipping my toes into getting an OW just a bit sooner, I've found my first to be pretty interesting. I doubt I will delve further into the OW arena, though. But then, I had decided I'd never go there to start with.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Biggest regret is buying 2 LP's. Both end up male so I can't get rid of them unitl pen-ultimate or MM. They don't grow as fast as what people make them. Got both of them on February 2018 at 1/2'' and over a year later one is 2'' and the other is 2.5'', they grow decently not fast IME. The standard Brachypelma species grow at this rate or a little faster.

I've had more molts from my A. moderatum than from my LP's, despite them being smaller. :troll:
I got 10 LP slings two years ago and they have >50% male rate. At least 6 are confirmed males (a few already hooked out) with only 2 confirmed females and the unconfirmed are leaning towards male. Why god.

ghostly

Arachnopeon
The only Ts I really regret getting are my B. albo and B. vagans males. I got them as slings when I initially started aquiring some beginner species, and now they're a bunch of juvenile males (lucky me!) and... well. Firstly, I paid way too much money for them back then (because I was young, inexperienced and gullible lol). And secondly, there's just no use for them, really. There are wayyyy too many slings out there already (in my country at least) nobody will want to take them off my hands for breeding and even though I have a B. albopilosum female, I obviously won't pair them.

I also have two P. Sazimais that I got as teeny tiny slings and while i don't regret buying them, it still annoys me how incredibly slow they grow. This is like raising a G. Pulchra, and I know full well that I don't have the patience for THAT :rage:

Moebius

Arachnopeon
The only Ts I really regret getting are my B. albo and B. vagans males. I got them as slings when I initially started aquiring some beginner species, and now they're a bunch of juvenile males (lucky me!) and... well. Firstly, I paid way too much money for them back then (because I was young, inexperienced and gullible lol). And secondly, there's just no use for them, really. There are wayyyy too many slings out there already (in my country at least) nobody will want to take them off my hands for breeding and even though I have a B. albopilosum female, I obviously won't pair them.

I also have two P. Sazimais that I got as teeny tiny slings and while i don't regret buying them, it still annoys me how incredibly slow they grow. This is like raising a G. Pulchra, and I know full well that I don't have the patience for THAT :rage:
Oh I know that pain, I grabbed some a few years ago and they definitely ended up being pretty slow, I almost regretted them, but really just wanted some on hand for breeding down the road to keep the ball rolling vs illegal WCs (my heart was in the right place at least, even if the reality isn't so sparkling, I'm hoping they stay a consistent CB sight). Between them and the Euathlus trunculentus I felt like I was Stifler from American Wedding, frustrated and waiting for the dog to finally crap the wedding ring out, "grow, just grow you little bastard...grow!". Having some fast growers on hand made the wait much less agonizing.

That said, the P. sazimai have some nice size and colors now a few years later, and some hardcore threat-posing attitude to keep them interesting once they finally do put on some size. Blue mock-OBTs that sorta resemble a blue B. vagans (to me at least), so they're not boring pet rocks in the end. I think if they were more sedate I would have been less impressed funnily enough.

I tend to snag quite a few faster or challenging species to offset the slo-mos, but I feel for ya during their sling phase, it really offsets me diving into certain species outright. Don't want WC (and you rarely see sub-adults that aren't for many species), don't want a speck of a sling that'll have me a senior citizen before maturity... oof. Rock and a hard place at times.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
No, a spider is a spider all of them are interesting and are great to keep.
Male or female

ThorsWebb

Arachnopeon
I regret every single spiderling I have purchased who has ended up being male when there is no way I'm going to find a mature female.
Spot on! I don't buy...this anymore. If I had know, I would have saved a lot of money.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Regrets?

I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say - not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

Yes, it was my way

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I thought I was going to regret my Sphaerobothria hoffmanni. I'm kind of a nervous keeper and I got it as a large sling when I only had a year of experience. I quickly realized it was way more skittish than anything I'd dealt with before, and defensive too. I think now I'd be fine with it but at the time, frankly it scared me. Sadly though it died after a few months. I think it was just a random death - I was keeping it the same as all my other NW terrestrial slings that have thrived, and it was eating and molting regularly. Tarantula Canada has a 2" female available now and I'm so tempted, but I really don't have money to be spending on spiders currently. One day though I hope to try again with this species.

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
I sort of regret getting my B.albo. He's a cute little digging monster, but shortly after getting him, the place I got him from got Nicaragua B.albo slings, which is what I actually wanted. I'm thinking I'll just end up with another one..

My first T was a freebie sent with a P.regius jumping spider- K.brunnipes. I mean, she actually sat out a bunch as a sling, and she got me into tarantulas, and she's still adorable. However, it'd be great if I could see her more than once every 4 months (for 5 seconds each time).
It's even hard to feed her because she absolutely will not come out to eat, and she hides the doors to her burrow. I think her last meal was almost 2 months ago. :shifty: All my other spiders will turn themselves into overstuffed grapes with legs if given the chance.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I sort of regret getting my B.albo. He's a cute little digging monster, but shortly after getting him, the place I got him from got Nicaragua B.albo slings, which is what I actually wanted. I'm thinking I'll just end up with another one..
Funny, my experience is the opposite. I got a Nicaragua female, then was buying some slings from another dealer who offered a choice of freebie slings. I already had every T they were offering, but I noticed the B. albos were Honduran, so I thought why not have both types, especially when one is free?

Harry Haller

Arachnopeon
Regrets? Hmmm...not really but a lot. It's difficult... I got the "have to have them all" disease, so I ended up with many. Since I also have the "definitely have to take good care of them" it sometimes takes up more time than I have energy for. The problem is that when I try to make a list of spiders that I should sell just to downsize a bit, I always end up with an empty paper... I should have taking more time to grow my collection... Well, I guess that is my regret, I got to many spiders in a to short time and now I can't make myself to sell any of them.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I purchased a Euathlus sp. red (can’t remember the new name) years ago as a mature female and it turned out to be male and hooked out three days after I received it. I got half the money back but still, that was pretty disappointing