Regina finally molted! HUGE growth spurt!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So my G. pulchripes juvie has finally molted for the first time in my care after baiting me into thinking she was in premolt before. She has amazing dark black legs and golden knees, so she's definitely got her adult colors now. What I found funny and awesome was how BIG she got. It looks like she gained an entire inch in legspan, from 2 inches to 3.
Check out these before and after pictures:
Regina eating.jpg REGINA MOLTED 1.jpg Before, she could fully orient herself against the side of the enclosure:
Regina\'s fangs.png But now it doesn't even look like she can even get vertical on the side in any way:
REGINA MOLTED 2.jpg
Edit: never mind, she can still do it:

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^ noticed the saw palmetto in another pic. Kids 19 and worried about prostate :)

cold blood

Staff member
lots of growth per molt means its a male. :beaver:
That's not necessarily true. Although it could be....I have had females exhibit large growth just about as often as males. In fact when I keep the final bunch from a sac, I tend to take a mix of the largest ones and the very smallest ones...almost all of the runts turn out to be males, which I used to find surprising (I had expected it the other way), but that last ultimate molt is usually such a gain its like the gain in (leg) size of 3 molts, plus they tend to mature smaller than females, so it kind of makes sense.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. pulchripes are very easy to sex ventrally in my experience. Get a picture for us.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's not necessarily true. Although it could be....I have had females exhibit large growth just about as often as males. In fact when I keep the final bunch from a sac, I tend to take a mix of the largest ones and the very smallest ones...almost all of the runts turn out to be males, which I used to find surprising (I had expected it the other way), but that last ultimate molt is usually such a gain its like the gain in (leg) size of 3 molts, plus they tend to mature smaller than females, so it kind of makes sense.
sorry, just couldnt find the troll emoji.
no worries @Moakmeister ;)

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Boom. Suck it @Venom1080

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
a pre-molt one from a smaller version...new ones from the freshly molted model would give people a better idea.
Well my brother did take this
IMG_7571.JPG But he sent it to me several minutes later, and when i told him to take a picture of her underside she had already moved :/

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From that premolt picture I would say 60% chance of female. A post molt pic could make me a bit more confident

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
From that premolt picture I would say 60% chance of female. A post molt pic could make me a bit more confident
Ay dude it finally went up to the side again. Here's ur picture. Look at those fangs
Regina\'s fangs part 2.jpg

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very impressive fangs. That pic is not great, too angled. But still looks female to me