Regarding H. petersii broods...and a couple random thoughts.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Specifically, how many will a gravid female produce from a single mating?

A bit of background. There was a female at a shop that was carrying a crew of scorplings. I was mildly interested in purchasing her, even though I suspected that she might end up killing them due to being initially disturbed by the unsuspecting care-takers who were unaware that she had produced. I checked back later and there were inly two of the babies left, one drowned in the water dish, the other was being eaten by the mother.

It came to my attention that she spawned another group, which is not uncommon, so I decided to go ahead and buy her. One scorpling was deceased, but uneaten. I'm not sure how many she had, but it appears (after a very stealthy examination without disturbance) that there are at least three remaining. I brought her home the day before yesterday, as of this writing.

So, now I am wondering... is two broods the limit, or have they been known to produce more past that point? I think the remaining scorplings may stand a chance since they will not be disturbed by me any more than possible, bit I would not mind a fresh brood having a better shot at things from the start.
I'm not really an AFS newbie. Nor an expert, but I already have three of them, one raised from a baby that was given to me and two others I purchased as adults, so I'd probably end up giving babies away to a responsible person who would be interested in raising them, As I have enough. I just want the pleasure of bringing viable ones to a survivable stage. And who knows, it might lead me to attempt a bit of home-breeding. After that I might even try to breed scorpions! ;)
Oh, and since the mother is hunting for meals for herself plus a few babies, what is the frequency of introducing prey?

Also, anybody have any idea what the evolutionary or biological imperative is that results in cannibalism? It seems counter-productive to me. Being disturbed might be a bad thing, but I'm puzzled as to why it readily goes downhill so fast. In human terms... "Marge, there are invaders in the house! Quick! Kill the kids!"
Is it a case of "Well, my brood is probably doomed anyway, I may as well consume them to nourish the next batch!"?

And one last weird thought I had transporting the scorp home: I thought "If I am in a crash, I should tell the responders "Nevermind me! Get the kids and their mother out of the wreckage!" Confusion would ensue. :D

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi Tim, I can't answer your questions but good luck with the mother and the remaining scorplings!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Theres too much cannibalism going on her housing is off ot shes being bothered too often

I've had a scorpion produce 3 broods fromc1 mating session. Its very possible more could come

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, her housing is definitely off, I have no doubt abut that. Part of the purchase agreement was that I'd bring her home in the enclosure. I'd have preferred to rehouse her if she was not carrying young, but I figured that a rehouse would really be the end of the scorplings. My hope is that they make it until it is safe to transfer them to alternative containers, suitably set up deli containers for the kids, and a proper perma-enclosure for mom. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will have another batch later no matter how it turns out with her current attempt.
For now, I'm leaving things strictly alone aside to feed them and add water. I'll need to peer in now and then to see if the young are still with her too, I suppose. She is holed up beneath an oversized (for the enclosure it is in) hide with whatever is left of the group.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
You can very gentle scoop her up with a large spoon or (kids beach shovel) the little toy ones. And re house her into an enclosure that is ready to go for her... try tong feeding half killed crickets. Roaches or super worms so it reduces her odds of eating the babies

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You can very gentle scoop her up with a large spoon or (kids beach shovel) the little toy ones. And re house her into an enclosure that is ready to go for her... try tong feeding half killed crickets. Roaches or super worms so it reduces her odds of eating the babies
Off topic.. but how long is gestation generally for H petersi?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The babies are seperating from mom,apparently consuming the chopped mealworms being offered, and are starting to darken somewhat.