Regals !!!

BriLloyd

Arachnopeon
Hey guys new here! IN the last few months I have surprisingly gained a love for jumping spiders. I own 3. One I got a few months ago, one I got about 6 weeks ago and one I just got in the last couple of weeks. They love eating crickets and worms- I have them each in their own aquarium with plenty of room and fresh greens from the outdoors, I even take them out daily to get fresh air, I interact with them daily, letting them crawl on my hands and arms- I love these little babies! They have the cutest faces! Anyways I’d like to post some pics and videos as I’m having a hard time distinguishing between male and female- and I’m like 99% sure they’re regals, but I know the audax can resemble the regal.. one of them is a baby (Dahlia) and is going through some pretty neat color changes, one I would say is more of a teenager (koji) and the other is full grown (saki)... I’ve attached some pics and videos with their names attached and any advice you guys can give would be amazing!

Attachments

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
They are beautiful.
My advice is to value time above all things.

Wait... What?... Oh, about spiders?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
If you can get some ventral shots, the underside of the abdomen, with light coming from an angle, that can help distinguish between audax and regius. The regius have a uniformly dull/matte black underbelly patch until adulthood, while in audax there's an alternating pattern of matte and shiny blocks that persists into adulthood. It's amazing how much regional variability there is in coloration of Phidippus spp., and that makes identification hard sometimes.
Congratulations on capturing these special ones, very adorable!

BriLloyd

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys I posted a bunch of videos of like some really up close markings and under the bellies and all that but I don’t know that they loaded correctly can y’all see them

My videos weren’t working so I tried to screenshot some of the video and just post pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
If they are P. regius, then Koji looks to be a young male, probably give it another molt to be sure. Saki looks either like she will molt soon or is gravid. Dahlia, considering the color changes you mentioned, is likely female.
Very beautiful spiders, especially Saki's dark coloration.

BriLloyd

Arachnopeon
If they are P. regius, then Koji looks to be a young male, probably give it another molt to be sure. Saki looks either like she will molt soon or is gravid. Dahlia, considering the color changes you mentioned, is likely female.
Very beautiful spiders, especially Saki's dark coloration.
Thank you so so so much!!!!!!! ❤

BriLloyd

Arachnopeon
Dahlia honestly looks like an adult male Phidippus putnami.
OK I had to Google that but OMG she does or I mean he oh my gosh oh my gosh LOL thank you thank you

He is so much tinier than the others so I thought it was just a baby because he has the same kind of eyes and look but that is wild thank you so much I’m so glad I joined this forum!! Yes I need to rename now lol

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
OK I had to Google that but OMG she does or I mean he oh my gosh oh my gosh LOL thank you thank you

He is so much tinier than the others so I thought it was just a baby because he has the same kind of eyes and look but that is wild thank you so much I’m so glad I joined this forum!! Yes I need to rename now lol
Glad I could help!

I forgot to mention that the others are P. audax none are regals.