Red Wooly???

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I stopped by a local pet store the other day, and was amazed at their selection of T's. Every other pet store in town sells G. Roseas and that's it. The occasional $90 Greenbottle Blue, maybe. This store must have had 12 different species! Everything from the fuzzy orange demons (Usambra Babboon) to Blondis to Avic Avics.
And then they had four "Red Wooly" T's. :confused: The kids working there had no clue what the technical name was. The biggest one was dark coloured with almost redish long hairs all over, and it was probably six inches. Any ideas what it might be?? :?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most "Woolys" I've ever seen are B. albopilosum ( curly hair ).
Thats most likely what it is..

Ernie

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Most " Woolys I've ever seen are B. albopilosum ( curly hair ).
I've seen these as Teddy bear Tarantulas also. What cute name they come up with.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What are their prices like? Sometimes pet stores have rediculous prices for them. The most rediculous one I can remember was a $40 G. rosea. The girl at the petstore even said that it was dangerously venomous.=D

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The pet shop owner around here wouldn't order me a curly because someone had told him that they woul dshoot deadly hairs at people :rolleyes:. I plan on taking my new one in for him to see this week sometime. My curly was labeled as a "Willy" tarantula....not wooly, willy.:confused:

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The megaphobema robustum and other 'robustums' that have the hairy legs (m.robustum has orange aswell)

Aswell as E.pachypus (feather legged babboons) and a lot more spiders that are hairy in this way

Hope that helps

oh yeah, what about A.huriana?

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people are just really f'in stupid.. lmao!!! A willy tarantula that shoots deady hairs... What the??! lol

Last edited:

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
Some people are just really f'in stupid.. lmao!!! A willy tarantula that shoots deady hairs... What the??! lol
oooohhh that so tempting but i will restrain myself lol and keep this post clean :D

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Prices aren't bad. Roseas are $15, the Greenbottle Blues are $30. They have a massive Blondi that's $110! :eek: The fuzzy orange demon (Usambra Babboon) is $65, looks to be a juvinal. And crickets are $.06 apiece.

Best I've seen yet..

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a usambara that is a rip off.. I got mine for like 9 bucks.

30 for a GBB where the hell do you go?! lol..That's a deal.

Originally posted by indigoeyes
Prices aren't bad. Roseas are $15, the Greenbottle Blues are $30. They have a massive Blondi that's $110! :eek: The fuzzy orange demon (Usambra Babboon) is $65, looks to be a juvinal. And crickets are $.06 apiece.

Best I've seen yet..

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The kid at the pet store FINALLY found out what the Red Wolly is! Nhandu carnpoensis :? It's really big and pretty! Does anyone have one of these? How's the temperment?

....grumble...dumb pet store kids....grumble...

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just did a search and found that there is such a species. Nhandu Carapoensis. I'm not sure if this is the "red wooly" that the pet shop had it.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by indigoeyes
The kid at the pet store FINALLY found out what the Red Wolly is! Nhandu carnpoensis :? It's really big and pretty! Does anyone have one of these? How's the temperment?
I could see where a pet store might decide to call a Nhandu "wooly". I don't have a carapoensis (and at least for people who listed their collections in the Watering Hole, neither does anyone else), but I do have a N. coloratovillosus, and I've seen people on the boards post pics of their N. vulpinus.

Assuming the temperament is similar, what you will have is a large, bold T that feeds aggressively. Mine will literally leap up to take a prey item out of forceps :D, it will also not hesitate to come running up if you take the tank lid off to see if you brought food. They're not super defensive (mine has never tried to bite) but it will readily rear up into a defensive posture and slap at anything it regards as an unwanted intruder when you're working in their tank. It's not the friendliest, a bit feisty, but it's one of my favorite Ts.

From what I've read, the only downside to the carapoensis is it tends to want to burrow/hide more than the coloratovillosus.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It might be Nhandu carapoensis (Brazilian Reds) These have very long reddish hair and get to be a respectable size. I've got a bunch of spiderlings of this species and they are fantastic eaters. I understand they are skiddish and have pretty bad urticating hairs, but the largest of mine is only 1.25 inch, so I haven't noticed any ill affects yet.
Hope this helps.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It would help if I would read the entire post before posting my own 2 cents.

Sorry for the redundant information....

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
I understand they are skiddish and have pretty bad urticating hairs.
They may have bad urticating hairs, but mine is much more likely to rear up and slap at you than kick hairs, which depending on your outlook, could be a good thing ;)

The only time mine has kicked hairs is when I really pissed it off.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't have a carapoensis (and at least for people who listed their collections in the Watering Hole, neither does anyone else),[/B][/QUOTE]

Sure we do! We just haven't posted a list. :) I have 2 adult females. They are really beautiful spiders that are well worth buying if you see them. I also have several N. coloratovillosus, 1 N. vulpinus and 2 tiny N. cerradensis. I have also found these spiders to be" a bit feisty" as CM accurately put it. They will raise up, threaten and occasionally strike. None of mine are insistent about kicking urticating bristles, nor have I noticed an inclination to burrow.

This is a picture of a very freshly molted female. The color tends to fade a lot as they progress through their molt cycle.

John

Last edited:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
But are you sure it IS that species? For all we know, the guy at the petshop decided to pick out a scientific name from the internet and declared that it was that. How did that guy get the name?

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's the one! There are four at the pet store. The largest is closer to five inches and is $90, but absolutely beautiful! I didn't buy one because I wasn't sure about temperment. I like docile Ts I can hold and play with. The most "Feisty" T is our Versicolour sling. He did a mini threat posture tword a cricket the other day! :p It was sooo cute!

The names people come up with at pet stores...