Red vines tub+ holes= T enclosure?

Eek

Arachnosquire
Howdy folks,
I nabbed 3 large red vine tubs from work and was hoping to use them as 1 gal enclosures for some terrestrial Ts. I drilled 3 dozen or so holes on the top, cleaned the inside out, and removed the sticker.

I think they look nice but I'd like any advice or insight you folks may have. I figure if the container is food safe then perhaps its safe for a T too...

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Finally, something I can answer! I don't own any Ts, but Red Vines tubs are great for all bugs who need the size. I used to keep a 2in roach in one until moving it into a more suitable tank, and my Mastigoproctus giganteus lives in one. They're great for maintaining humidity, and look really nice without the sticker. Neither has gotten sick and neither has died, so they're not bad. Plus, the round nature can help prevent climbing and potential falls.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Wow, yours looks much nicer than mine. I basically just haphazardly stuck a pin into the sides until I had a bunch of air holes. :p

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How does this close? Is it a locking lid? Theraphosidae are escape artists so it needs to close really tight.
Re: the round nature of it.
If you get a speedy terrestrial, it could be that the shape of this enclosure might make that an issue, leading to a speedracing terrestrial since there are no corners to slow it down. :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I can imagine a bolting Tarantula going in circles in that and gaining momentum.

Overall though, if the Spider is appropriately sized I don't see why it would not work, so long as that lid is able to be secured.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
The lid can get very secure. I didn't think about the running issue, as I've never kept a tarantula in one. I suppose that could happen, though. Even if Ts don't work in it, you can still keep other bugs!

Eek

Arachnosquire
The lid is a pushdown and spin 2 inches cover. I would say the odds of escaping (if properly sealed) are quite slim. I could be wrong, though. Ive never had a T escape (knock on wood) but I'll investigate its weaknesses.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I think they look cool too! View attachment 237012
Those are great for juvenile fossorial species, Ceratogyrus or Cyriopagopoeus. I have similar types, larger (2gl.), that held 10 lbs. of dog biscuits. Just clean, add vent holes, lots of substrate and they're good to go. I prefer to repurpose items, 2 uses for 1 price. ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The lid is a pushdown and spin 2 inches cover. I would say the odds of escaping (if properly sealed) are quite slim. I could be wrong, though. Ive never had a T escape (knock on wood) but I'll investigate its weaknesses.
That's good enough I think :)
Maybe you could place a piece of bark on one side to prevent the T from speeding up when bolting.

Eek

Arachnosquire
I made the hide in all 3 stick up a bit...do you feel like this is enough to slow em down or no? 20170416_112044.jpg