Red velvet mites

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I looked closely at my iguana today. (the one with the attitude I rescued a month back or so) It appears to have red velvet mites though only a few that I can see. Is this the species that is predatory or are velvet mites another parasitic species?

If ya'll recall, I also mentioned how aggressive this guy is. When I took a close look at him, he also had some blue coloration. There's a possibility he's an El Salvador blue which explains his hissy fits.

EDIT: Ok well I've been doing some searching. Unless the young red velvet mites maintain their bright color when they're small, I'm guessing its not a velvet. However, they are brightly colored red and smaller than 1/32 of an inch (don't have a mm ruler on hand)

Last edited:

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The red velvet mites are parasitic you are going to have to remove them. Use a pair of tweezers to take them off or rubbing vegetable oil on them should suffocate them. I'm a bit surprised they are on your Iguana usually these mites are found on various wild caught geckos most noteably on flying geckos.

Ron

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's also the little black mites (I forgot the genus...started with an O) as well. I've been looking around that some mites become red when they're engorged on blood. Could this be the same species?

I thought I was lucky when I got him. The previous owners kept him on stuff they found outside and I thought it was a miracle he didn't have mites :wall:

As far as treatment, should I rub him down more than once? If so, how often and how long should it take until mites are no longer seen? As for the substrate, should I put him on a paper towel while he's being treated? He's on ecoearth at the moment and being organic, I'm wondering if it would sustain the mites even after treatment.

Last edited:

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's quite possible you have both species? Provent A Mite works pretty well, your going to have to wash and spray down your enclosure. You will probably have to do this several times to make sure the mites and potential eggs are gone for good. If you have any other herps in the vicinity make sure to check them as well the mites spread quickly.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No herps but I do have rats and a dog. My inverts are also nearby.

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure on the inverts but your dog and rats should be safe from the mites. Just keep in mind when your spraying to keep your inverts in a different room. I'm sure as more people read this thread they will be able to help you out more....

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
should I put him on a paper towel while he's being treated? He's on ecoearth at the moment and being organic, I'm wondering if it would sustain the mites even after treatment.
deffo put him on paper towels and get new bedding for him till their all gone that way incase any are in the subsrate they wont go right back to him after he's all cleared up... Good Luck

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Allrighty. I'll be doing that tonight then. He's gonna hate me even more now {D

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't know if you can get it out there in the states but try calling your vet and asking if they stock a drug called Dectomax. Its actually licensed for use in treating ectoparasites in livestock (sheep, cattle etc), but used in the correct dosage it is absolutely superb at killing all mites and other nasties on reptiles. I have used it for years with excellent results and no bad side effects. It is administered as an intramuscular injection (you should only need two shots max to eradicate the mites from the Iggie itself) and can also be mixed into a solution and sprayed into the enclosure to kill any mites left there.

Hope this helps.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't heard of that before. I went and bought some Reptile Relief that we use in the store and it seems to work pretty well.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't heard of that before. I went and bought some Reptile Relief that we use in the store and it seems to work pretty well.
that's exactly what i use also(reptile relief) i used it on my greentrees/emerald(imports:wall: ) when i first got them,it's completly safe and works like a charm,perfect for your iguana,only the smell of it is nasty{D

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmm..I never noticed a smell. I guess I'm so used to a big tank full of crickets that everything else smells like roses.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmm..I never noticed a smell. I guess I'm so used to a big tank full of crickets that everything else smells like roses.
yeah, with small enclosures when you spray the animal,and the enclosure it has this funny smell:razz: it dosen't bother them, but i'll tell ya take alittle wiff of it.........and oooh:eek: nasty