red velvet birdeater

mtyrrell

Arachnopeon
hi ive recently got a red velvet birdeater and need some info on how to care 4 this spider i cant find any info on the net so if any one has any tips would be appriciated

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the 'red velvet birdeater'?
At a guess, I'll bet it's a pet shop name for "fiery red birdeater", Lasiadora difficilus. Even "fiery red" is a bit of a stretch.

To the O.P. - You'll get better help here if you can use standardized names, expecially scientific names. Unfortunately, pet shops are pretty poor about providing this information.

Den

Arachnosquire
If it is a Lasiadora Difficilus, then you want to keep it fairly dry with a hide and a water bowl, if it's 3+ in. Lasiadora aren't big borrowers so you don't need as much substrate as you would a Haplopelma. And I believe they attain a 10 in. legspan in maturity.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Most Lasiadora comes from Brazil then range down to Argentina
There some in Costa Rica
The ones in Costa Rica are much smaller thought than your "typical" Lasiodora,(difficilis,parahybana ect..) and prob arn't Lasiodora at all. More likely Metriopelma or something similar. regardless I wouldn't say any of them come from a dry area, but like most spiders in captivity they may not thrive, but will live on dry substrate with a water dish. :cool:

With a name like Red velvet birdeater though, who the hell knows what it could be.
Later, Tom

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiadora aren't big borrowers so you don't need as much substrate as you would a Haplopelma.
Mine have been burrowers when they were small, but stop burrowing as they reach full size.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
hi ive recently got a red velvet birdeater and need some info on how to care 4 this spider i cant find any info on the net so if any one has any tips would be appriciated
It is impossible for us to offer the correct information until your spider is properly ID'ed.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Do you have a picture of it? That could help us at least have a better guess as to which Genus or possibly species of tarantula it is.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
IDK about T pics, but man I want some red velvet cake! {D

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, there you go, like Tom said
With a name like Red velvet birdeater though, who the hell knows what it could be
can OP post pictures, please
I start been real curious what this red velvet can be :D