Red runners..lateralis roaches

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hey fellas.. im a bit worried. I ordered feeders pin head sized lateralis roaches. The seller punchared holes for air but a small crack developed and several got out when i opened the box. I killed as many as i could find.. but scared some have gotten away..
I hear from some ppl that these are invasive and some not invasive.. did i just screw myself? I live in so cal pasadena.. i think my wife will kill me if we see them down the line..please help!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Go immediately to H.Depot and get a dozen roach hotels.Put them around the house.How many are we talking?.
Hopefully you have wolf and jumping spiders around your home.If you do,they may not ever be an issue.But don’t panic.And don’t go spraying anything around your T,s.

jcmbibb311

Arachnopeon
Honestly, since they were pin heads, it shouldn’t be a big issue. It would take a bit for them to first grow, then mate, then establish a secure location to continue breeding. As others said, if you put out some roach traps it should eradicate any potential problems.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Thank u guys.. i think i saw one get away in my house.. maybe 2.. not totally sure.. And i saw 1 outside soon as i placed the box outside after i saw few loose.
I cant get roach traps cuz of my 2 cats.. what u guys think?

Decided to wrap those bastards in a zip lock bag. Gonna sufficate them. Oh well its just 25 of them.. few bucks lost.. lesson learned. Gonna stick with worms.

Like i said.. i think maybe 2 or 3 got loose.. to be honest.. i didnt see ant run off in my house. But the fact theyre so small and run like hell.. im gonna assume 2 or 3 most ran off.. i did see 1 run away outside when i put the box outside.. i think im screwed in a few months..

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Way back in October 2019, I ordered 2 starter colonies of roaches, so that I could get my B.lateralis colony off the ground. During shipping, the lid on the deli cup holding the roaches came off. So the package arrives and several students stayed after school to see what the roaches looked like and to help get the colony going.

I popped opened the shipping container, and it was like it just exploded with roaches. There were roaches every where; all over me, all over my students and roaches were scurrying all around the table, counters and floor. Of 200 roaches, I think we recovered around 40 or 50, for the colony.

As I recall, the students were more stunned by my screaming than the horde of loose roaches... :bag:

The replacement starter arrived a week or so later...the lid to the deli cup was taped on.

...so could've been worse. Could've been at your place of work...& 1200 students, faculty & staff found out about it.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Just put the roach motels inside cabinets in the kitchen/bathroom and closets.Put them anywhere the cats can’t go.
But I really don’t see you having a huge problem.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Thank u guys for all the support!
Crickets, dubias, and worms from now on.. sheesh what was i thinking..

Way back in October 2019, I ordered 2 starter colonies of roaches, so that I could get my B.lateralis colony off the ground. During shipping, the lid on the deli cup holding the roaches came off. So the package arrives and several students stayed after school to see what the roaches looked like and to help get the colony going.

I popped opened the shipping container, and it was like it just exploded with roaches. There were roaches every where; all over me, all over my students and roaches were scurrying all around the table, counters and floor. Of 200 roaches, I think we recovered around 40 or 50, for the colony.

As I recall, the students were more stunned by my screaming than the horde of loose roaches... :bag:

The replacement starter arrived a week or so later...the lid to the deli cup was taped on.

...so could've been worse. Could've been at your place of work...& 1200 students, faculty & staff found out about it.
Ohhhhh man!
That sucks big time! Did an invasion ever occur after that?
I feel better now..
Gonna get several roach motels tonight and lay them out away from cats.
Never again will i order roaches.. only dubias if i do!

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Ohhhhh man!
That sucks big time! Did an invasion ever occur after that?
I feel better now..
Gonna get several roach motels tonight and lay them out away from cats.
Never again will i order roaches.. only dubias if i do!
All ended well. No infestation...janitors gave me dirty looks for a few weeks though... :bag:

rusted180

Arachnosquire
All ended well. No infestation...janitors gave me dirty looks for a few weeks though... :bag:
Hahahahahhahahahahha!!!!! I read ur story and this reply to my wife.. she started cracking up!
... im still in trouble with her tho. If something happens.. she told me i have to pay for the exterminator and im paying a fine tonight by buying her whatever she wants at the store.. sheesh

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Supposedly they can’t establish breeding colonies without high temps. Reproduction at room temperature is not unheard of, but in the long run you’re probably fine.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just an FYI, they are already present in California and have been for some time now. They are a peri-domestic roach, meaning they favor being around structures because we basically create an oasis in the desert with the exotic plants, landscaping and most of all, irrigation. They are quite common in California actually. So if you see some outside, they are most likely not yours lol. They are a species adapted to living outdoors in mediterranean climates, they are not adapted to living and breeding indoors, although they can live quite awhile indoors after escaping or accidentally coming in from under a door or other crack or crevice. If you walk around the outside of the structure at night with a flashlight you may even see them on or near the foundation or cracks/gaps in the pavement.

mechchic84

Arachnopeon
Thank u guys.. i think i saw one get away in my house.. maybe 2.. not totally sure.. And i saw 1 outside soon as i placed the box outside after i saw few loose.
I cant get roach traps cuz of my 2 cats.. what u guys think?

Decided to wrap those bastards in a zip lock bag. Gonna sufficate them. Oh well its just 25 of them.. few bucks lost.. lesson learned. Gonna stick with worms.

Like i said.. i think maybe 2 or 3 got loose.. to be honest.. i didnt see ant run off in my house. But the fact theyre so small and run like hell.. im gonna assume 2 or 3 most ran off.. i did see 1 run away outside when i put the box outside.. i think im screwed in a few months..
Like others have said, you can put roach hotels in closets, cabinets, and locations where your cat cant access them. Roaches have to get water eventually so chances are if they got out, eventually they will find their way into the kitchen or bathrooms. You can put roach motels under the sink if it has a cabinet. I had an ant problem in my house. I used baits and poison for them but I put them in the window sill, out in the garden by the window, in the sink cabinet, and by the sink. I didn't have any issues with my cat getting into them or sick from it. One good thing about having cats though is that if they see something running across the floor, odds are pretty high they will probably kill it.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Off topic but first summer being spent in PA, where I kive in the woods. A far cry for a city kid like myself born and raised in the concrete jungle of Queens NY.

LOTS of big Ants and Eastern Parson spiders around.

A) Are ant traps safe in my T room?
B) Do Parson spiders post any threat to T's if they say....got into an enclosure?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Off topic but first summer being spent in PA, where I kive in the woods. A far cry for a city kid like myself born and raised in the concrete jungle of Queens NY.

LOTS of big Ants and Eastern Parson spiders around.

A) Are ant traps safe in my T room?
B) Do Parson spiders post any threat to T's if they say....got into an enclosure?
1FEBE303-FB2B-40C4-A29C-7427BB73940D.jpeg

Grand kids caught this little Parson Spider trying to gain access to one of the sling enclosures. Don’t know how it would have fared, had it gotten into the enclosure, my 2.75” Phormictopus was in there......

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
View attachment 347813

Grand kids caught this little Parson Spider trying to gain access to one of the sling enclosures. Don’t know how it would have fared, had it gotten into the enclosure, my 2.75” Phormictopus was in there......
I have better pics of the local parsons then I do of my whole collection of T's!

Very easy to take when out and about lololol

KenD

Arachnosquire
My lateralis' don't breed effectively unless I use heat on the bin they're in. Only a few ootheca, nowhere near as many as when the bin is heated, and no nymphs appear to hatch. My apartment is between 20-24c.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have better pics of the local parsons then I do of my whole collection of T's!

Very easy to take when out and about lololol
I went through all my enclosures and feeding my slings today. Look what this well nourished girl produced!!!

B2DCA5AD-13D1-4866-8219-A71170007658.jpeg

I offered her a teeny tiny B.lateralis, she took it right off the tongs. Just a crazy cute little spider momma.