Red runner or American?

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I recently ran out of red runner roaches and I was considering if I should buy American cockroaches instead of red runners, because I keep scolopendra heros that are native to the us, and red runners aren’t, and I think for that reason, my scolopendra heros won’t eat them alive. People who’ve kept both species please tell me what are the pros and cons of both species and which would you recommend, and any tips on (for a lack of better term) farming them? Also if possible where can I go to for cheaper roaches?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I keep scolopendra heros that are native to the us, and red runners aren’t, and I think for that reason, my scolopendra heros won’t eat them alive.
They don't have the mental capacity to think that through.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
I hate American roaches so I would never keep that as feeders. Your heros won’t know the difference anyway unless you just want some bigger feeders

herpetologyfrk

Arachnopeon
Perpilanta Americana can fly, just so you know. A lot of keepers tend to avoid flying species. If I’m not mistaken these are also not native technically.

Also, lateralis is here in the US invasively. So my guess is that native species are likely to eat them. If you wanted a larger species like the Perpilanta I would recommend B. orientalis as they are larger and also invasive in the US.

Not sure where you’re located but I have a favorite source for most roaches. Feel free to PM

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Perpilanta Americana can fly, just so you know. A lot of keepers tend to avoid flying species. If I’m not mistaken these are also not native technically.

Also, lateralis is here in the US invasively. So my guess is that native species are likely to eat them. If you wanted a larger species like the Perpilanta I would recommend B. orientalis as they are larger and also invasive in the US.

Not sure where you’re located but I have a favorite source for most roaches. Feel free to PM
Yeah I am aware that they can fly and climb smooth surfaces, I was born on the southern side of China and we got lots of them over there, I am currently in California

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Yes, despite the name they're thought to have originated in sub-Saharan Africa.

As @darkness975 said, centipedes don't care where your roaches are from.