Red runner die off

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I cleaned out my red runner colony on Saturday, gave them fresh egg crate and when I went to feed them Monday night there were a bunch of dead and dying roaches. Since then I'm losing about 40 a day. I used the same batch of egg crate that I've been using since April with no issues, I thought maybe some of the egg crate had been contaminated somehow so I cleaned out the bin with hot water and put egg crate scraps from pieces that had been cut down that I knew were safe when I got home from work on Tuesday. I just picked out another 40 or so dead roaches.

I had very few roaches die before this, other than the eggcrate there has been no change at all. They are eating the same batch of food and water crystals as my other roaches, which are fine. I use no chemical cleamners at all in my house, have fed them no fresh veggies in the last week. always wear gloves when I work with them in case I have soap residue on my hands, have no other pets other than a fish. I'm at a total loss here. I use them mainly to feed my P. horrida colony, centipede and scorpions and now I don't know if it's safe to feed them. Most of these roaches are only about a month mature. Anyone have any ideas?

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
What is the temperature and humidity?
It sound like it could be a temperature issue

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
What is the temperature and humidity?
It sound like it could be a temperature issue
The temperature hasn't changed, I keep all my roaches at room temperature which varies from 75 to 80 degrees. Humidity in the house runs from 40 to 50 percent, I've had roaches as feeders for 3 years and have never experienced something like this. I have another bin of red runner nymphs and a bin of Dubia all kept the same and they are doing well. The only difference was the fresh egg crate, but I've been using the same batch all along. I've moved the sickly ones to the bathroom which has a bit higher humidity and have been picking out the dead and dying ones several times a day, I cleaned out the entire bin twice since disturbing them as little as possible, giving them fresh water crystals and changing their dry food out every day. There are still quite a few dying but I think it's slowing down a bit and many of them are starting to act normal so I'm hoping it will sort itself out. It seems to be mostly males and mature females dying, but I have found a few nymphs dead. They are still breeding though, so I've been removing the ooths to let them hatch seperately.