Red orb mold

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Im not usually interested or worried about mold but i've found something interesting
In one of my P.sazimai sling enclosures,mold appears every now and then,i just pick it out.
Now that i looked in one of the sling's burrows,i noticed some tiny red orbs apprearing wherever there is mold growth. The large one is around 1mm in diameter,while the other two are barely visible to the naked eye.
It looks neat. Im interested in what this is. I never thought that one of my tarantulas would become a DragonballZ fan.
_MG_1959_1.jpg
_MG_1957_1.jpg

corydalis

Arachnosquire
Reminds me of fluids pouring out from feeder insects during the procedure of being eaten.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Reminds me of fluids pouring out from feeder insects during the procedure of being eaten.
Havent fed this one recently,it just molted a few days ago
Anyway,as i removed the mold,the orb seemed to pop like a zit. Whatever it was,it looked kinda cool,lol.

corydalis

Arachnosquire
Anyway,as i removed the mold,the orb seemed to pop like a zit.
So you destroyed the dragonballs.. Vegeta will be furious.:shy:

Havent fed this one recently,it just molted a few days ago
Apropos, hours before my pulchra’s last molt I've noticed that the cuticle is leaking a bit on one of his hind legs, leaving behind small droplets, although their color was rather greenish-yellowish than red.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
It looks like water droplets that are refracting the red from the substrate. That's pretty bonkers if they are chucking so many spores as to turn any fluid in there a tinge of red.

boina

Lady of the mites
@boina

Maybe we can make a dedicated mold thread for boina to look at :troll: only half joking
Uhhh...no?

Anyway, I'm not sure this is really part of the mold, or a water droplet on top of the mold. A lot of filamentous molds are actually quite hydrophobic. They are coated with proteins that are actually called hydrophobins and water will form droplets when placed on top. I'm not exactly sure where the red color comes from, though.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Uhhh...no?

Anyway, I'm not sure this is really part of the mold, or a water droplet on top of the mold. A lot of filamentous molds are actually quite hydrophobic. They are coated with proteins that are actually called hydrophobins and water will form droplets when placed on top. I'm not exactly sure where the red color comes from, though.
Cmonnnnnn