Red on Black...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a big update on this old saying:

Red on Black, Friend of Jack
Red on Yellow, Hey Its a smithi!

;P

Sorry, this was in reference to the post about the spider I got a couple of days ago that was labled Mexican Redleg. Since it was just a small sling, and the colors were still quite dull, I wanted to get a confirmation of species. When I asked what species it was, the clerk said B. smithi (whick is what is commonly refered to as a Mexican Redknee, not Mexican Redleg. Mexican Redleg is the generally accepted common name for B. emilia).

Well, I was really hoping that the spider was a smithi. Well, it molted this morning, and my wish came true. B. smithi it is!

:D

Jon

:D

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
B. smithi was originally (way way back) known as a mexican redleg. I guess many petstores never heard about the change. :)

Scott

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
B. smithi was originally (way way back) known as a mexican redleg. I guess many petstores never heard about the change. :)

Scott
Which is just another shining example why it is best to rely on scientific name rather than common name.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't believe that I waited so long to get this species. They are just a phenomonally beautiful species. It is the true classic of the hobby. It is the one that caught my eye, when I was a kid. I remember seeing a bunch of them in the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. And for the longest time, they where the only spiders being sold in the pet stores. Dang!

Jon

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey Jon

awsome tarantulas! I have one sling myself, 1" a little bigger i would say, i can see some adult coloration but not much! Anyway, how big is yours? male? female? Have you held yours yet? I have held my sling and man they are HEAVY! Good Luck! and great pic!

James

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: hey Jon

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
awsome tarantulas! I have one sling myself, 1" a little bigger i would say, i can see some adult coloration but not much! Anyway, how big is yours? male? female? Have you held yours yet? I have held my sling and man they are HEAVY! Good Luck! and great pic!

James
Here is a pic that hits all your questions except for the sex of the spider:

"Enjoy!"

Last edited:

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I remember seeing a bunch of them in the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. And for the longest time, they where the only spiders being sold in the pet stores. Dang!

Jon

Actually, that was at the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
(as if Smithis all live together on a giant web, pfshhhh)

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh wow, it's gorgeous, and so little too! I think my emilia needs a few more moults before she'll start to get her proper adult colouration. She still looks like a spiderling, as opposed to a mini adult, but she's got the characteristic V on her carapace already :)

With regards to the redleg/redknee thing, a friend of someone I know bought a 'redleg' spiderling last week and was told it was B. smithi. He's not found out that it's a B. emilia. I would never ask the 'common' name of the T when buying, I'd quiz them a bit to check that they know their T's, and then ask for the latin name. Much safer.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by blackacidevil
Actually, that was at the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
(as if Smithis all live together on a giant web, pfshhhh)
Oh, I haven't seen that whole movie in ages. I really need to. But I am talking about Temple of Doom. I don't remember seeing a giant web.

This brings up an interesting thought. It isn't land development or an explosive pet industry that has put the Brachypelma genus on the Cites list, it is the Indiana Jones movie line! ;P

Jon

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dash Garnit.........

Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Oh, I haven't seen that whole movie in ages. I really need to. But I am talking about Temple of Doom. I don't remember seeing a giant web.

This brings up an interesting thought. It isn't land development or an explosive pet industry that has put the Brachypelma genus on the Cites list, it is the Indiana Jones movie line! ;P

Jon

Now I gotta whip out the Indiana Jones Trilogy.

p.s.
Last Crusade is my favorite