Red Lights to watch my T’s

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Just installed some red puck LED lights to see what the little specimens do in the dark. I wanted to show y’all what I did, get some feedback, the whole 9.

I tested it out and the smaller A Avic was just bein a ham so I assume it’s cool with her lol.

Attachments

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Nice! I haven't tried puck lighting, but I bought some LED strips and put them on my sling shelf. It's a good supplement to the red headlamp I have, and if I have company over I can make it switch to other colors to show just how much odd energy I put into my collection.
Red.jpg Purple.jpg

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
that looks really good! red lights dont affect them like normal light does I suppose?

Pangalin

Arachnopeon
I have just ordered some red leds for my viv,as a new hobbyist everything iv read about lighting for T,s points to red.I was using blue as it seemed not to be as bright but apparently blue is bad.So red it is 😎

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice lighting!

I use blue lights, stopped using red decades ago.

From what I’ve researched they can’t see the red spectrum
There’s a scientific paper freely available that shows spectral sensitivity for one species, believe it was A chalcodes.

Pangalin

Arachnopeon
Nice lighting!

I use blue lights, stopped using red decades ago.
I read that blue was bad as it appears like a bright light to T,s.As a new keeper there is so much conflicting info out there ahhh🙃

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read that blue was bad as it appears like a bright light to T,s.As a new keeper there is so much conflicting info out there ahhh🙃
@jrh3

I don’t use LEDs like above. I cover the lights so they resemble moon light.

If you read blue was bad, be good to see the source. I know I’d like more info on this if you have it!

Pangalin

Arachnopeon
I was reading The Tarantulas Keeper's Guide and I was amazed to learn that tarantulas can't see red light and that blue light was like a blazing sun to them. I found that very interesting. Along the same time that I read that, I have doing a lot of surfing and looking at enclosures and reptile rooms. There I was amazed to see how many people had dark rooms with either bright fluorescent, LED and even blue lights. I am the first to admit that a blue light for tarantula room looks very cool, but it may be the worst for our tarantula with respect to stress.

If I were to set up a tarantula room I would have a area away from the tarantulas with bright white to work or write notes but over tarantulas I would have red lights so as to disturb the tarantulas as little as possible.
Seems it was in tarantulars keepers guide,how true im not sure

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
@jrh3

I don’t use LEDs like above. I cover the lights so they resemble moon light.

If you read blue was bad, be good to see the source. I know I’d like more info on this if you have it!
How is visibility when doing this? Or is this more for the T than for viewing

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How is visibility when doing this? Or is this more for the T than for viewing
Blue is far better for humans! That’s why I switched.

Check out those herp heat moonlights for nocturnals. Used them on my lep gex.

Many years later did the same with LEDs

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fair enough :)
Also, I use a headlamp when doing T maintenance at night. I keep it on the lowest setting with white light pointing upward. None of the species I have are visibly bothered.

Red is too hard to spot fast tiny slings.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Also, I use a headlamp when doing T maintenance at night. I keep it on the lowest setting with white light pointing upward. None of the species I have are visibly bothered.

Red is too hard to spot fast tiny slings.
Beats my method of flipping light switch and everything runs in terror

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beats my method of flipping light switch and everything runs in terror
I used to do that many years ago. After watching how quite a species didn't like like that, I changed to make their lives more enjoyable. Head lamps are cheap, so are rechargeable batteries.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
just don't use Black Light (deep purple UV) not good for the T from what I have read

Lyra

Arachnopeon
I have a single warm white led that I power with old tacho batteries. (Little batteries from UK trucks driver hour monitors that have to be replaced regular) I poke it through a little hole at the top in one corner. It creates a spot of light right underneath it and then a low glow for the rest of the space. However reading this I wonder if to change to a red LED evening and night time....
The battery last week's on 1 LED.