Red light suggestions?

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I'm new to millipedes and I have 3 African Giants in a 10 gallon tank with a wood branch to climb and hiding place for cover, coconut fiber, oak leaves and sphagnum moss for the substrate. They are on a bottom shelf that doesn't get much light so they're hard for me to watch.

What red light would be best to prevent heat but give me enough light to watch them? I was going to simply purchase something but decided I better ask the experts instead to get the best lighting that wouldn't dry out their enclosure or injure them. I live in Texas so the house is typically kept about 75-77 degrees so I definitely don't want to risk additional heat.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm new to millipedes and I have 3 African Giants in a 10 gallon tank with a wood branch to climb and hiding place for cover, coconut fiber, oak leaves and sphagnum moss for the substrate. They are on a bottom shelf that doesn't get much light so they're hard for me to watch.

What red light would be best to prevent heat but give me enough light to watch them? I was going to simply purchase something but decided I better ask the experts instead to get the best lighting that wouldn't dry out their enclosure or injure them. I live in Texas so the house is typically kept about 75-77 degrees so I definitely don't want to risk additional heat.
Led lights don't put off heat and you may be able to find some in red but if not you can wrap alot of red film around it to dim it and change the color. It's not necessarily infra red but it may work.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
LED lights are definitely best for not increasing heat. At larger aquarium stores, I've seen quite a range of wattage and colors offered (I was considering adding more light to my dart frog vivarium) and of course there are a wide variety on Amazon. ;) Personally, I think moonlight LEDs would look nicer and more natural than red. Example

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
With the moonlights on sale, I went ahead and bought 2. My Petco doesn't have a wide variety in-store so I need to check out a few of the other pet stores in the area. Thank you.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
With the moonlights on sale, I went ahead and bought 2. My Petco doesn't have a wide variety in-store so I need to check out a few of the other pet stores in the area. Thank you.
Awesome! I hope they work well for you! :)