Red light for king snake

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just wondering if having a red light on as a heat source for my snake 24 hours a day would bother it?
I always have it on during the day but always turned it off at night. I like it very cool and where the weather is changing and becoming cooler, its getting to be very cold in here.

I would like to leave the light on for the snake but if the red light would bother it I will get another heat source.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just wondering if having a red light on as a heat source for my snake 24 hours a day would bother it?
I always have it on during the day but always turned it off at night. I like it very cool and where the weather is changing and becoming cooler, its getting to be very cold in here.

I would like to leave the light on for the snake but if the red light would bother it I will get another heat source.
It wont matter. That or some heat tape (w/ a thermostat so you dont burn your house down) are pretty standard. Plus, your snake should have a hide anyway where he can escape the bulb.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hasn't bothered any of mine. I prefer heat lamps to pads or tape, so I have my two big cages setup with the lamps. They seem more reliable for the price.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hasn't bothered any of mine. I prefer heat lamps to pads or tape, so I have my two big cages setup with the lamps. They seem more reliable for the price.
really? More reliable? I've been debating trying the heat cord or tape because I figured they'd last longer than a bulb.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really? More reliable? I've been debating trying the heat cord or tape because I figured they'd last longer than a bulb.
For the price. If you get a good brand of heat tape, I'm sure it would last you longer, but it wouldn't be very cheap for a good setup. Like you said, you'd need a thermostat. Those aren't a small expense from what I've seen. The good one I have ran me $70, and the cheaper one doesn't regulate temperatures.

The bulbs are a constant, but easier to deal with, expense. I know I'm going to get at least 6-8 months out of them for $14.

If I ever get a better setup for my snakes, I'd probably shell out for either heating elements or heat tape with a good thermostat.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the price. If you get a good brand of heat tape, I'm sure it would last you longer, but it wouldn't be very cheap for a good setup. Like you said, you'd need a thermostat. Those aren't a small expense from what I've seen. The good one I have ran me $70, and the cheaper one doesn't regulate temperatures.

The bulbs are a constant, but easier to deal with, expense. I know I'm going to get at least 6-8 months out of them for $14.

If I ever get a better setup for my snakes, I'd probably shell out for either heating elements or heat tape with a good thermostat.
Ah. Makes sense. I have bad luck with bulbs. Half tend to burn out in a few months for some reason. Oh well.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
On a power bar, I use regular 60 watt bulbs in my lights that are on during the day & then I have a power bar with heating pads on them I turn on at night. I dont spray my snake enclosures with water if I have a species that needs humidity, I use a humidity box. Every single one of my snakes use it. They have a wooden shelf at one end for climbing with the humidity box under it & a hide at the other end where its cool. Kim