red leg or red knee?

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey, i didn't think it was an emilia or boehmei, but i'll just have to wait and see, i'm pretty annoyed now as i have two red knee s'lings, lets just hope one is female and the other male :D

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Annoyed? ;) I have half a dozen B. smithi, and I'm convinced that's not enough. A few years ago I cut down on the number of species I had and got more of the ones I kept, and it turned out to be a great move. I never realized the fun I was missing.

Steve

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes, they are really nice spiders, but i want to get all the brachypelma sp. so when i got an emilia that turned out to be a smithi, there was dissapointance, but i'm happy all the same :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
yes, they are really nice spiders, but i want to get all the brachypelma sp. so when i got an emilia that turned out to be a smithi, there was dissapointance, but i'm happy all the same :D
I think you need to find someone new to buy from. It sounds like it is fairly common for you to not get what you paid for.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
an emilia that turned out to be a smithi
How is it you know it to be a smithi? Is it because of all the GUESSES that have been given in this post? When it is bigger please let us know what species it actually is. Thanks.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David Burns said:
How is it you know it to be a smithi? Is it because of all the GUESSES that have been given in this post? When it is bigger please let us know what species it actually is. Thanks.
If ruling out what she bought it as (B. emilia) on the basis of the patellae being the wrong color qualifies as a "GUESS", then I'm interested in knowing what's not a guess. Whether or not it's smithi, it's certainly not what she paid for, and I can't see it being anything but smithi or possibly auratum. Do you put question marks on all your cages until the DNA results come back? You didn't seem to have any problem with guesses until yours turned out to be way off. ;)

Steve

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I do not know the leg span of the spider in question, but here are some comparison shots for you of B. smithi and B. emilia.

B. smithi
1.25"

2"

2.75"

B. emilia
1.25"

1.75"

My guess is that it is not B. emilia. Just a guess. ;) Out of the two I would have to go with the smithi. There is red on the knees, which is absent in B. emilia. Since I do not have B. boehmei or B. auratum, I can't guess on those ones.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
defour said:
If ruling out what she bought it as (B. emilia) on the basis of the patellae being the wrong color qualifies as a "GUESS", then I'm interested in knowing what's not a guess. Whether or not it's smithi, it's certainly not what she paid for, and I can't see it being anything but smithi or possibly auratum. Do you put question marks on all your cages until the DNA results come back? You didn't seem to have any problem with guesses until yours turned out to be way off. ;)

Steve
LMFAO! Yep, I was just guessing and basing it on my experience. I'm just a begginer in identifying species from pics of tiny spiderlings on the internet. I'm not arrogant enough to say that I know what it is or is not based on a bad pic. :);)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
how can this happen? as it is a cites II species surely you got a declaration to prove it is captive bred, what sci name is on that declaration??

Eddy

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
defour said:
If ruling out what she bought it as (B. emilia)
:confused: i never got anything saying it was captive bred :confused: do i need one? oh and i'm not a she, i'm a he, and i'm not saying it is a smithi, or an emilia, or a whatever, i'm justs aying it is at the moment seeing as thats what resembles it the most, please don't bite my head off, but i was just a curious little boy wondering what i have and people bite my head off :evil:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
:confused: i never got anything saying it was captive bred :confused: do i need one? oh and i'm not a she, i'm a he, and i'm not saying it is a smithi, or an emilia, or a whatever, i'm justs aying it is at the moment seeing as thats what resembles it the most, please don't bite my head off, but i was just a curious little boy wondering what i have and people bite my head off :evil:
I don't think anyone was biting your head off. There was simply a discussion on what type of tarantula you actually ended up with. No one is faulting you. You asked for opinions and that is what you have received. With small slings, it is very hard to positively identify them until they really start to show their adult patterns. That is why you need to make sure you purchase them through a trustworthy dealer, so you do get what you paid for.

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it only cost me £11, i've seen them double that before, so i'm not too upset, like i said i have two smithi's now, i just hope one is male and the other female

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8 legged freak said:
i'm not a she, i'm a he
Oops, sorry about that. A combination of your avatar and the fact that you never sign your name. Shant happen again. ;)

Steve

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ye sorry about that :p i'll do that next time, i tried to change my avatar but all the pics are too big, but i'm a big "grim adventures of billy and mandy" fan, (not sure if you've ever seen it) but sorry :)