Red leg or Blood leg?

jefeman

Arachnopeon
I am stuck between a Mexican Blood leg ( Aphonopelma bicoloratum) or the Mexican Red Leg ( Brachypelma emilia) for my 3rd tarantula. I'm looking for which is more docile and handleable. I saw that the Blood legs are very expensive. I am also curious which one stays more in the open. <edit> What would you recommend?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Yes, unfortunately we will be the bearer of bad news... don't handle your t's, for their safety over your own, it just isn't worth the splat. Out of the two species you mentioned, I would like an emilia, they are my favorite looking brachypelma species, next to albiceps, I won't tell you to not get one, but remember that tarantulas are hands off animals, for THEIR sake. If you want an exotic animal you can handle, get a snake, they are fantastic pets IMO, and although excessive handling can be stressful to them, the risk of catastrophic failure is pretty low. Also if you're looking into getting your first tarantula, I'd suggest looking for a juvenile, or adult, simply because those species you mentioned are glacier-like in their growth, also check out some other species like Aphonopelma chalcodes, Grammostola pulchripes, and others in those genus. Cool animals to observe, not touch though, and you probably won't be getting any answer different than that from others aswell.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Handling has a tendency to end in posts like... "help dropped my t" ... or.. "help, t leaking fluid after a fall". 10/10 do not recommend handling.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
<edit> What would you recommend?
I'd recommend you open your mind to slings, as they'll be more readily available and almost guaranteed to be captive bred. Yes, it's a bit tedious to grow them up, but it supports the CB hobby.

As to where you could find them, the classifieds section here is a good start - the first page I clicked has both species. You won't find specific recommendations, as advertisements aren't allowed.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
A. bicoloratum decently started (1-2”) is going to set you back $300+ easily. Cheapest ones you will probably find are around $80 for a sling around .25”. I‘ve seen comparisons to the B. Boehmei a number of times with the boehmei larger and deeper coloration.

jefeman

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I just want to see which would be more docile so I would have no problems with them kicking hairs like the boehmei.

What are the temperaments for both? Ive heard that the emilia can be skittish but also can be docile. I also think that the emilia is my favorite brachypelma.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
What are the temperaments for both? Ive heard that the emilia can be skittish but also can be docile. I also think that the emilia is my favorite brachypelma.
Personality wise, not all tarantulas are same in my opinion. Even within same species, it’s literally case by case.

jefeman

Arachnopeon
Same. My albo used to be very skittish until another molt. I'm saying in general which is more docile.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
I am stuck between a Mexican Blood leg ( Aphonopelma bicoloratum) or the Mexican Red Leg ( Brachypelma emilia) for my 3rd tarantula. I'm looking for which is more docile and handleable. I saw that the Blood legs are very expensive. I am also curious which one stays more in the open. <edit> What would you recommend?
Thank you
Why do you want to handle it?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It's just not a good idea to handle tarantulas. They're kind of like animals in a fish tank. Amazingly fun to watch, but not so much the best pets for handling. However, out of those options I'd choose the B. emilia (Mexican Redleg). They're more available, less expensive, better looking (in my opinion), and although they grow slowly it's much faster than A. bicoloratum...which grows at a glacial pace.

jefeman

Arachnopeon
Thank you for replies. Not handling them just looking for a more docile temperament. Thanks.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
I would go for emilia. Bicoloratum is too expensive for a T so similar to regular brachys.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
For handling, I recomend the Plushelma stuffinsi. Impressive size, urticating hair negligible, and you can't beat the price.
I have one! And i am quite pleased with its ease of care and handlebility.
Pros:
Whopping 20+ inches DLS
Stays out in the open (never moved away from the bed in fact)
Tolerates handling
Scares toddlers away

Cons:
Glacial grow (never molted once in my 10 years of care)
Terrible feeding response

20201130_112029.jpg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Emilia - cheaper, more available, less of a pet hole, faster growing, one of the Brachypelma that aren't known kickers