red knee stays at the top of the cage

renz0115

Arachnopeon
Same problem has just happened to me I recently purchased my Mexican red knee and he just hangs out on top of the cage but he’s terrestrial

E4DE373B-68B2-47F3-9682-B6DA50774599.jpeg

this is his setup

0602BF56-6AA4-4D01-952D-2F3A0B8D1F50.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Get your T out of there ASAP! That's a disaster waiting to happen. :eek:

Also, I think the substrate is too fluffy for its liking, you need to tamp it down. Take everything out and put it into a new container with less height. There shouldn't be more than 1,5x DLS between substrate and the top. And no mesh lid as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in there.

Here's a good beginner guide, read it! :)

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/fantastic-beginner-tarantulas-and-how-to-keep-them.314840/

cold blood

Staff member
Agreed, it's simply not an appropriate enclosure for a terrestrial.

boina

Lady of the mites
Because it hates the enclosure. You need coco fiber earth and not pure coco fibers for substrate. They can't walk on that. Where is it going to go if it can't walk on the ground? And there's too much height.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Also as others have mentioned that substrate is also way too fibrous. You’ll want to look for coco coir, peat, topsoil, etc. You could even just use soil from your garden depending on the soil type given you remove any hitch hikers as best you can

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
my hand went through my skull from a face palm, this is an ungodly site. I am watching this poor T hang on for dear life. TAKE IT OUT OF THERE. heights equals bad for Ts here is an equation for the height: 1.5(dls) = max vertical space.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Your t is communicating with you.Its letting you know somethings not
right here.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
From my experience, that'd suggest something in the enclosure. I reckon it'll be those lights. What substrate are you using?

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Your enclosure is too high, one wrong fall can be fatal with that height.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
Because it hates the enclosure. You need coco fiber earth and not pure coco fibers for substrate. They can't walk on that. Where is it going to go if it can't walk on the ground? And there's too much height.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread!

I’m still doing research before I get my first Tarantula and I’m going through forums gathering advice and care information for terrestrial tarantulas (Tliltocatl albopilosum for my first). I also read a lot of the Beginner with Questions, Stuck in Molt, Check My Enclosure, etc threads since there’s always a lot of good info in the comments. I feel silly asking, but what is the difference in pure coco fiber and coco fiber earth? What would the name brand “EcoEarth” substrate be considered?

Sorry again for opening up an old thread. I don’t want to cloud the forum with my constant questions. No more than I already have.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel

I’m still doing research before I get my first Tarantula and I’m going through forums gathering advice and care information for terrestrial tarantulas (Tliltocatl albopilosum for my first). I also read a lot of the Beginner with Questions, Stuck in Molt, Check My Enclosure, etc threads since there’s always a lot of good info in the comments. I feel silly asking, but what is the difference in pure coco fiber and coco fiber earth? What would the name brand “EcoEarth” substrate be considered?

Sorry again for opening up an old thread. I don’t want to cloud the forum with my constant questions. No more than I already have.
Cocofibre is that stringy loose stuff that you can see in the above photo, cocofibre earth has a texture/consistency more like dirt with small granular pieces that can be packed down for more solid footing.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I suggest not buying that of the reason that it is too expensive. Always buy substrates in bulk, like topsoil or peat in a gardenstore. You can find soil 10 times more cheap than buying coco fibre. Eco earth is just a brand name if i am correct? They are basicly the same thing. Now i dont like it of other reason than the price. I have tried it but i found it too loose and i dont like the look if it. I rather use peat or topsoil, but many people use coco fibre so i cant talk bad about it. Just my personally opinion. If you have a forrest near your place you can dig up the substrate yourself for free. This is the cheapest and most climate smart there are.

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
I suggest not buying that of the reason that it is too expensive. Always buy substrates in bulk, like topsoil or peat in a gardenstore. You can find soil 10 times more cheap than buying coco fibre. Eco earth is just a brand name if i am correct? They are basicly the same thing. Now i dont like it of other reason than the price. I have tried it but i found it too loose and i dont like the look if it. I rather use peat or topsoil, but many people use coco fibre so i cant talk bad about it. Just my personally opinion. If you have a forrest near your place you can dig up the substrate yourself for free. This is the cheapest and most climate smart there are.
I’ve gotten a couple different bags of coco fiber and a bag of the Scott’s topsoil (I kinda wanted to play with it before putting a T on it to see what would be best). The coco fiber (the EcoEarth) is super light. But the topsoil is about 85% sticks. I did try sifting to get the sticks out but its so largely sticks it was kind of pointless? I hear Scott’s topsoil being used but is there another brand of topsoil I could try? What brand of peat moss would be best? (I know it shouldn’t have any fertilizers, definitely. But I’ve read defying information about compost and animal waste).

Maybe I’m being too picky or vastly overthinking substrate. Being my first T I want to make sure I’m doing everything perfectly.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you already have coco fibre, use it! But personally, i would have muxed it with topsoil or pottingsoil

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
If you already have coco fibre, use it! But personally, i would have muxed it with topsoil or pottingsoil
I haven’t done anything yet just went ahead and got some of the preferred subs for when I do get my first T... one of these days lol. What do you think about the sticks being in the topsoil? They’re not particularly stiff or sharp, so if some was still in the TS would that be alright in an enclosure?

Sorry about all my questions. By the time I’m finished doing research and asking 1.2 billion questions, I should write a book. Lol.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I haven’t done anything yet just went ahead and got some of the preferred subs for when I do get my first T... one of these days lol. What do you think about the sticks being in the topsoil? They’re not particularly stiff or sharp, so if some was still in the TS would that be alright in an enclosure?

Sorry about all my questions. By the time I’m finished doing research and asking 1.2 billion questions, I should write a book. Lol.

Attachments

Erica Danielle

Arachnosquire
I’ll definitely be looking into getting those ASAP. It’s not that I completely dislike the Coco Fiber but goodness it’s so light.

And thank y’all for the advice!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Edited:
I use a mix of unfertilized top soil, sand and clay. It works perfect in her vivarium, but that's my personal case.
A lot cheaper and imo more natural than coco fiber alone.

Last edited: