Red Knee Sling Problems

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok Im getting very worried , out of all my new slings the 1 I thought was doing the best is giving me the most fits. The little Red Knee Sling is about 1.5" and flicks hair if I look at her wrong ( no offense typical woman ) but her abdomin has turned dark black and she has a mild white on 1 of her fangs.. cant tell what it is and she wont stay put long enough for me to tell. Ive been keeping her semi dry .. should she be more humid? Im getting really worried If I loose her .. I'll be crushed ! Thanks For ANY Info !

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
all my slings have a little bit of condensation on the walls of their rubbermaid containers. i make sure there are no loose, standing droplets but it is VERY humid, including my B. smithi who has molted once and is doing extremely well. i would up the humidity, just let the soil absorb some more water and seal it back up. i also 'air out' the containers by checking on the slings at least once a day and watching them for a few minutes. if they haven't shed recently i normally try to gently touch them with my finger or a paintbrush to get them more 'used' to it. (at least, in my mind)

see if that helps. it might be about to molt. i don't know about the white...mold? have you enough holes in the top? are you 'airing' it out at least a few minutes every day?

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I keep my slings in deli cups with loads of holes to prevent condensation (don't want mold or mites). The white junk is just on one fang - not other mouth parts? I think you should keep it in the 80% range until maybe 2+". The dark abdomen is a pre-molt sign. If you use clear deli cups, you can coax your little spider to the wall and get a good look with a magnifying glass.

Dario