Red knee advice

Allison Hopton

Arachnopeon
Hi, we've had our Chilean rose for over 10 years and we love her (docile) so we decided to buy our son (he's 20) a Mexican red knee. She's lovely but I worry! We had her 4 weeks ago & she ate constantly and was very active. The last 3 days she has been in her house and as far as we know ( she might come out when we're asleep) she hasn't moved. Is this normal? Am I worrying over nothing? Thanks in advance x

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas can make you worry at first. You get used to them fasting and sitting in one spot lol. I got an A seemani several months ago. Only ate two crickets in all that time. Was in premolt and did so on Sunday morning. It's a boy :( But a very handsome boy :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hi, we've had our Chilean rose for over 10 years and we love her (docile) so we decided to buy our son (he's 20) a Mexican red knee. She's lovely but I worry! We had her 4 weeks ago & she ate constantly and was very active. The last 3 days she has been in her house and as far as we know ( she might come out when we're asleep) she hasn't moved. Is this normal? Am I worrying over nothing? Thanks in advance x
Could you post a picture of the tarantula? We could determine if she's in premolt.

Allison Hopton

Arachnopeon
I can't take pics, she's been in her house for about a week. Unless she's coming out at night she's been in there for 7 days. As I said literally a cricket a day for a fortnight and now nothing. Our other tarantula is quite predictable but this one is an enigma lol. I'm going to keep an eye on her (my son is worried sick bless) and hope it is premoult. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it x

Walker253

Arachnobaron
She's most likely stuffed. Fourteen crickets in 14 days? If she's not in premolt, she probably won't eat until she molts anyway. Just make sure she has water and leave her be. When she does molt and gets back on a feeding schedule, slow it down. Once a week feeding and only a few crickets at a time. Don't let that abdomen get too fat. It's hard on them.
I power fed my A genticulata. She got so fat, she was miserable. She finally molted the other day. I haven't fed her since September. Her feeding schedule is getting cut way back.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Don't worry about not seeing her. Without a little window into my Haplopelma vonwirthi's tank (I still go by Haplopelma since I disagree by the classification), I wouldn't have seen her for about four or more months!

cold blood

Staff member
We had her 4 weeks ago & she ate constantly and was very active.
Tarantulas don't eat "constantly". One prey item per week is a good schedule..for your rosie one every 2 weeks is proper.

Over-feed a t and it gets its fill and fasts until it creates a new exo and molts. With pre-molt, comes long periods of inactivity.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I imagine your t is just sitting back allowing it all to digest as it just ate the equivalent of you or me eating an entire cow.

gobey

Arachnoknight
While I agree she's been a little overfed since you got her (lots of people make that mistake. Feeding them is the best part)

Also just know... This species, as much like your other... Is prone to just sit in one spot for hours to days.